New images of US Defense Department's secret drone that looks like a UFO

The Dunne D.5 and most of what Ludwig Prandtl or Jack Northrop doodled in the 1920ies/1930ies?

2 Likes

i think they didn’t mean x-prime, they meant x-files:

1 Like

“XRQ-73”, really?
They need to hire someone for marketing and branding.

Which marketing team did you use, TK_1420?

2 Likes

There’s a reason big honkin’ triangle UFO sightings spiked in the 80s

(OP says “looks like a UFO” but the traditional view of that has been the Kenneth Arnold style flying discs)

1 Like

Based on what I’ve been able to find this design is using propulsion technologies developed in the earlier “Great Horned Owl” program, where an internal turbine is powered by conventional fuels and generates electricity to power electric ducted fans for the propulsion. It’s a bit more fuel efficient than traditional designs but it appears that the military’s main interest is that it can operate much more quietly, and can switch off the turbine to run on stored battery power for short durations. Basically it’s like a flying Prius, which is a step in the right direction at least.

For really clean-running longer-range designs batteries aren’t quite there yet, but there are other options like hydrogen fuel cells or sustainably-created aviation fuels.

4 Likes

Wow, bureaucrat-ese at its most indecipherable!

2 Likes

Thx bro! I didn’t have time to dig into it so much appreciate it. I figured it would be some hybrid thing (as you say, a step in the right direction) but was hoping for something more exotic like ion wind or some unobtainium powered engine.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.