New kitchen appliance turns food waste into fertilizer in 24 hours

my guess is people with money looking to reduce their consumer guilt footprint?

probably the same type of people who use these kitchen “gardens”.

5 Likes

:slight_smile:

Someone I know got one of those as a gift. It looked really silly taking up kitchen counter space, using electricity sitting not far from a window with light coming through it.

But, those things, being programmable and all, would be good for kid science experiment tropes.

3 Likes

I have an old kitchen appliance that turns waste into fertilizer in 24 days (it’s basically a lidded pail, but not as nice as this fruit-fly excluding one.)

The target market for this must be extremely impatient people.

1 Like

Their sophomore album was awful, but their debut was pretty good.

No, but I’m shaped like a Weeble-Wobble, so that’s generally moot.

Some people have called in to complain after attempting to put food in the wrong orifice, but their significant others and children were laughing too hard for the Customer Service desk operator to hear what they were saying.

15 Likes

I think it’s a neat product assuming it works. Though there’s definitely already a robust market for composters, even indoor ones you can keep in the kitchen that are odorless.

If someone wants to spend a grand on this… great i guess. There’s a product for every price point

Get an Amazon Go account and a coconut Dash button for getting them delivered on demand via an Amazon drone. IFTTT technology in action!

2 Likes

But wouldn’t the agitator hurt the worms?

1 Like

African or European drone?

2 Likes

Chinese drone!

3 Likes

What … is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Chinese drone?

4 Likes

Classified. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And you get thrown into the gorge for not answering one of my questions three.

All of my recent replies have been references to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if that was unclear to anybody.

Funny, I was picturing one with a wagging tail who’s not fussy at all about what’s “gone bad” and will distribute the fertilizer fresh to the garden himself. And please don’t insist you an do the latter, the neighbors would complain.

4 Likes

“Oooo, look at me! I think I’m so great! I’ve got a pet alligator!”

8 Likes

I can see this being useful for people who, for whatever reason, can’t make an outdoor pile of their rotting food. Otherwise… I don’t think anything could be more simple and easy than piling your garbage in a pile. Plus, free life coaching!

3 Likes

lol well there’s a few things to consider, though i do get your joke. You want the compost pile to be actively breaking down organic matter, otherwise it’ll attract critters and bugs. An active pile may still attract some bugs but it won’t be as bad.

I bought 2 black plastic garbage cans from Home Depot, and drilled holes in the sides and bottoms. If you “start” it with some dirt from the yard/garden, it’s pretty incredible how quickly stuff breaks down on its own.

Plus, worms. Ours are full of them, presumably because they’re crawled up through the holes in the bottom and have realized that the inside of the can is Worm Paradise.

1 Like

In defense of the idea of an electric composter, not everyone has the space, the patience, or the stomach for traditional composting. I’m kind of the perfect consumer for this product; I live in a relatively small apartment, walk-up apartment, and have a roof garden. I compost, but not effectively - my compost is chunky and takes a long time to process, mostly because I’m too lazy to chop it up finely before throwing it in the bin, and because I’m not good at keeping the proper PH balance and mix of browns and greens. My compost often smells - both the pre-compost bucket I keep under the sink, as well as the compost on the roof, which is really more of a fly breeding habitat than a compost bin.

I’ve considered other similar products, like the Food Cycler. That device claims a very low energy usage, though it gets mediocre marks from some for the compost it produces (users complain it’s more like dehydrated food chips than dirt). I’d be interested to see what this Whirlpool composter can do, though at $1000 or more, I doubt I would buy it.

4 Likes

Questionable value notwithstanding, seeing this on BB is a big deal to me personally. I was heavily involved with the design and building of the proof of concept prototypes for this project, and I have one of those units stashed away. I’ll be interested to see how they dealt with air handling, as that was a problem we never completely figured out. Trying to keep the stench of what is literally hot garbage juice out of your kitchen is no small task.

7 Likes

I’ll take a moldering cucumber over a psychotic Cheeto any day of the year