New Layout?

cronsplainin’

5 Likes

touche

Can you set it up so that all the article pages also display in ASCII if I follow links from the ASCII homepage?

2 Likes

Not without some very elaborate multiple-stylesheet witchcraft, I’m afraid (no)

boingboing.net/zalgo is in the works, though, so hope is not futile.

you will all be soothed

3 Likes

I’m not seeing any updates in Feedly since 9/15:

1 Like

The feed url changed. It was in another thread on the changes. Looking it up…
See the post from @IronEdithKidd Show full Post largely useless (hope that goes to the right post, that thread anyway)

it is now http://boingboing.net/feed

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, blog has a cache-lag. A fair number seems to be missing from /post, so maybe not so rare.
$2 brush removes pet hair like magic;
Watch the world record stone skipper hit 88 skips;
Movie phone call supercut;
Donald Trump is an anti-vaccine autism truther;
How I fooled Penn and Teller;

I’m switching between the two at the moment to make sure I get the new articles and to make sure I don’t miss anything.
Is the time of the posting a standard time, or does it reflect the time where the poster is?

YouTube videos aren’t showing up on http://boingboing.net/blog

Also, number of comments appears to be gone.

There’s definitely something seriously awry with caching/load balancing. We’re investigating.

What the hell is up with the giant youtube videos?

As long as they’re not crazy and running it on one of the commercial UNIcs. Friggin non-standard cron formats…
(Especially IBM with their ORs instead of ANDs for some fields)

1 Like

Ken is investigating the cache issue. /blog/ is at least stuck at present on the appropriate post for this situation

1 Like

That feed does work in [EDIT: My] Feedly. However, it now means I’m getting no more preview images. Just a bunch of blank tiles. :frowning:

EDIT: Here’s a screenshot.

Odd I get images though youtube shows up as links. On the other hand I am getting the full article text so that is goodness.

I know what the deal is with feeds, I think.

Actually, I was hoping for everything in camel-case, in Comic Sans, light blue on dark green.

If you could add a spinning gif with fire, that would be even better. Java applet is ok.

6 Likes

I’m not sure if I love you or should strangle you. or both.

1 Like

Not to sound like a compete douchenozzle here but I look at the archive.org link and what we have today and I think to myself, “this is supposed to be progress?” Then again I am also one of those weirdos that loves the new ascii view so I’m sure my opinion doesn’t hold much weight.

7 Likes

Yeah I can’t figure out how having things randomly all the page with nothing but pictures and headlines is preferable. Everything seems to be going this way though. The new PLEX apps are the same giant random sized images all over the place.

Is there something wrong with just a plain old blog style view, headline, picture, excerpt from the post, all in a nice order.

Just don’t get the point of these changes.

It’s not just you. The “classic” layout was the most usable one in my opinion.When they changed the layout the last time it caused quite a stir too. It wasn’t long before everyone figured out the /page/1 view and updated their bookmarks accordingly.

Unfortunately, with this update gave us 3 views (4 if you consider the grid usable) and none of them work right. Right now I have 3 different tabs open for BoingBoing and each one is showing different content. And it not just a problem of out-of-date content. I can find entries in each view that do not show in the others.

I am not sure what UX problems the new layouts are supposed to solve, but at this point shouldn’t they just call this a failed experiment and roll the changes back?

1 Like