New Layout?

Obviously Rob bought one of those BoingBoing store 99.9999999% off 364 things bored people can do with WordPress courses.

20 Likes

The /blog presentation should have the name of the author at the start of the article. Often the entries are in the first person and it doesnā€™t make sense to have to scroll down to see who wrote it, then scroll back up to finish reading the entry.

10 Likes

@beschizza

#THIS
fix nao

6 Likes

8 Likes

dude, hell yes!

thanks!

ETA:

this is a pet peeve of mine, Iā€™ve talked about it with @jlw before. I donā€™t use the view Taco is talking about, but just viewing from the BBS, you added a bunch of writers and let them all post from a universal ā€œBBā€ account/avatar (and killed Piskorā€™s existing avatar, making him use it, too.) It is detrimental to the regular readerā€™s use/understanding of the site. A) itā€™s wack, B) if itā€™s by design and cannot be appealed, at least own up to it.

6 Likes

Can we do 80 columns while weā€™re at it?

2 Likes

Could you fix it so quoted text appears as such in the blog view? Right now, in posts like http://boingboing.net/2015/09/16/irving-txs-notorious-islama.html, the quoted text isnā€™t offset in the blog view.

1 Like

It seems to have stopped working again on both /blog and /category/post as the comments on the whale post and before are missing on /blog (currently itā€™s 3rd from the bottom position before ā€œnextā€), and showing up on the 2nd page of the /cat/po. The whale post, which should have been cached long ago isnā€™t showing up at all in /cat/po.

THIS!!!

4 Likes

I know I probably sound like a shill, and technically I am since BB is officially a customer of Discourse now ā€“ but I honestly think the new main site design looks grrrrreat. Very clean, nice use of colors. I am a fan.

1 Like

Shill!

Yesterday was the first time in months I even looked at the main site anyway, donā€™t like it, but I didnā€™t like the other one anyway the one or two times I looked at that.

Really doesnā€™t matter to me what it looks like as long as the BBS can slurp the text out of the articles.

4 Likes

To flag or not to flag? Are the mods biased?

(I kid, Mr. Dragon Sir!)

2 Likes

Itā€™s more the blog view people have issues with, rather than the main site.
I wonder how many regular posters use the blog view, and how many casual viewers use the main page.

I for one (long time lurker, currently more active because Iā€™m bored) dislike(d) the main page as itā€™s not the job of the CMS explaining me what I have to find interesting - so it was /page/1 for me (Iā€™m able to define my own filter bubble, thanks a lot).

The current situation is unsatisfactory:

• /grid is complete and up-to-date, but I will not choose my reading based on an image
  • /blog and /category/post are generally fine but incomplete

Until the situation is resolved I use /feed (displayed as web page, not in some RSS viewer or as dynamic bookmark) as entry point: All posts are displayed and I get at least a little bit of the text

5 Likes

I donā€™t dislike this layout anymore than I disliked the other one, and I guess it has the benefit of not causing me to just completely ignore an entire column of content most of the time because Iā€™d only read down the side that had new stuff/stuff I usually was interested in. Iā€™ll like /blog when itā€™s not out of date.

Overall: ā€¦ Ohā€¦ okay.

Itā€™s more the blog view people have issues with, rather than the main site.

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s true: My impression is that many folks here have given up on the main site, were using /page and now /blog, and are complaining that the /blog experience isnā€™t as good as the /page experience was. Thatā€™s certainly how I feel.

For example, clicking on the graphic (not the title) for ā€œWATCH: Ahmed Muhamedā€™s awesome press conference about being a rogue clockmaker in Americaā€ on the main site shows me the YouTube video; clicking on it from /blog does nothing. Iā€™d like to see the author, comment-count, etc. moved back up by the title. And while Iā€™m asking for tweaks, how about we consider /blog to be the ā€œold fogeyā€ view and ban animated gifs from there?

8 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s kinda my point. Iā€™d bet most of the regulars were using /page, 'cause they never liked the main site, and itā€™ll be casual viewers mostly who use the main site, who arenā€™t regular posters, and so donā€™t complain about it much.
Now that /page got trashed, it seems better at the moment to use /post, as /blog still isnā€™t updating as regularly as /post.
And neither of them say how many comments have been posted below the main blurb.
Why oh why change it in the first place?
If it ainā€™t broken, donā€™t fix it.

3 Likes

Will the real Boing Boing please stand up?

As of about 16:45 BST, the first story of each view:

Capitalization as per original. /grid has no link from anywhere, as far as I can tell. /blog has a link on the boingboing.net page. /blog/1 is from a comment by Rob buried in the forum. /blog/0 is an address I typed in on a whim an hour or so ago; I have no idea if thereā€™s a clue hidden in an obscure corner of the forum, or something the preferred audience of BB are supposed to just know about.

As Iā€™m unemployed at the moment, I have plenty of time to mess about trying to figure out how the new BB is supposed to work; if I was working, I think Iā€™d probably give the site a pass for a couple of weeks until it was sorted out. Though that might stretch out some if, as I suspect from previous behaviour, it gets sorted out but no explanation or guide is posted anywhere it might be easily found. As it is, Iā€™m about ready to give up now; I fully expect /blog/-1 to be the most up-to-date page tomorrow, in the format I want to view Boing Boing.

14 Likes

Fixed.

2 Likes

Rob, count me as another who was using /page/1 and is now using /category/post (which misses some posts e.g. Coryā€™s post with the video of Ahmedā€™s press conference) until /blog catches up. One issue: I found Ahmedā€™s press conference post listed under another individual post. The assortment of posts that appear beneath a current post are dated but their dates donā€™t mention the year, and at first I thought I was seeing other new posts that hadnā€™t been scooped up in the /category/post folder. It was only on clicking through to the comments of those other linked posts that I was able to see they were actually from years ago. Would it be possible to add the year for those posts that reappear as suggested further reading, when they are from more than 12 months ago? Thanks for your responsiveness to all the readersā€™ concerns.

2 Likes