New MacBook Pro design shows up a day early

And they were good for beatin’ people! To death! Which was the style at the time.

4 Likes

Have you upgraded to Sierra yet? I did it on one of my two boxes truly horrific. ICloud became meshed with the login keychain and it took 15 mins to disentangle. I don’t like to “deal with” itunes, why should I? Why buy products that push me garbage I don’t want? Why should I have to press a button to run a program I want to run, and every 20 days have to re-enable running applications which aren’t corporatized?

As for SIP, again, why should I have to spend 10 mins messing around (which I did) to make my machine POSIX compliant again? Why should I have to spend 1hr installing a GCC which supports OpenMP. Most of our development boxes are OSX, but we have a bunch of Linuxes lying around too. It’s just gotten to the point where I prefer working on the linux boxes for a multitude of reasons (CUDA support etc. etc.) The trajectory of the OS is towards less user control (undoubtedly), and more marketing to users. I fully expect Siri to be selling you toothpaste in 4 years.

Macs used to be technologically advanced, power-user friendly, and well-built for the money. They are now technologically remedial, power-user hostile, and average built for the money. I’m sure they are great for some people. Not for me, not anymore.

1 Like

er?

I run OS X daily for work. I don’t use iCloud, iTunes, Siri, or “locked platform” (whatever you mean by that) ever. Works fine. I do buy apps in the appstore occasionally.

I call BS here. I turn off the “signed apps” requirement in security, my apps work fine that I download (like VLC) and I never get prompted after the first time I run them. Apps I compile work fine. I still run Homebrew and it works. You’re doing something wrong.

How did you manage that? I’ve never made an iCloud account. I installed Sierra. It asked me to make one. I said “No” and moved on. No problems.

5 Likes

I’m on Sierra. As I said, I don’t use Icloud either. My upgrade went fairly smoothly, but I have all my mods and configs in a git repo, so I just upgraded, overlayed what the upgrade wiped, and kept running. No big whoop.

The day I can’t take control back from Apple I’ll just wipe the system and go with Linux, or FreeBSD, but this last upgrade seemed far less traumatic than the jump to El cap. They didn’t even muck around with MDNSresponder this time around.

Can you elaborate on the CUDA issues? I’m still finding the NVIDIA drivers are working for anything I need them for.

Here’s a screenshot. You have to hit that button every month or so. If you are fine with doing that, I’m glad for you. I’m not.

I’m glad icloud didnt’ cause problems for you. If you do some light googling you’ll find the icloud keychain gets corrupted all the time, causing annoying issues for a bs feature I don’t want.

I’m not saying you’re dumb if you still think OSX is the best thing for you. Maybe it is? I’m saying the level of stupid buttons I have to press is too high for my personal liking. Your mileage may vary>

I upgraded from the version before El-Cap so that probably contributed to the issues. I 100% agree with you that OSX is usable for development (I am doing that right now). Just saying I am no longer investing in the platform, and IMO it’s gotten continuously worse since roughly Snow Leopard.

CUDA issues: not a software thing, just the fact that you can’t get a retail mac with top of the line CUDA FLOPS. Once again, everything is possible, somehow. I don’t care about whether mac can do it though, I care about whether it’s the least BS way to get my science done. That’s no longer true.

Probably has something to do with how macos sierra implements two factor authentication

I use OSX as my daily driver, and do heavy lifting on other systems. It works as a good base OS for a laptop, and I can still abuse the GPUs if I’m unable to connect to something with real horsepower at any given time. That’s the way I use it. It, just like every other OS, has it’s place.

Well, I don’t recall hitting it “every month or so” but, even if you did, OMG, once a month you have to click a box!?!?! ONCE A MONTH? How can anyone live with clicking “allow from anywhere” once a month?!?

Seriously, though, I haven’t seen it once a month. I’ve seen it like twice, ever, usually after an OS level update, which seems to reset the pref but then I’ve never investigated it.

iCloud didn’t cause problems for the simple reason that I’ve never opted into iCloud. If you hadn’t either, it wouldn’t be causing problems. You say you don’t want cloud stuff so why are you synching your keychains to iCloud? This is leaving aside that giving Apple your keychains and passwords, from a security point of view, is pretty damn unsafe, especially given how people have socially engineered their way into iCloud account resets by Apple Support in the past and used them to own people’s devices.

2 Likes

Death of a thousand cuts. You seem to be the sort of person who likes defending tedious nonsense for funsies. I can tell you and I would get along well, and we should have a beer sometime.

I never opted into ICloud. Even if you do not Sierra makes an ICloud keychain which can become corrupted.

I don’t know how you wound up in that unfortunate situation. I don’t have one.

Okay after verifying, no icloud keychain on my system. You must have opted in somewhere along the line. If you don’t want it, don’t do that.

Neither do I but Sour Grapes thinks his experience is universal and, therefore and of course, OS X sucks.

There are legitimate things to complain about with OS X. I wish people would focus on those instead of making some new ones up. I mean, you’re bitching about hitting a dialog box that, even in your version of this scenario, you see once a month (though that isn’t accurate).

Your complaints aren’t those that 99.99% of OS X users are going to see. Good luck.

1 Like

He was not a god.

Remember, with the original Macintosh, they had to fight Jobs to be allowed to add hard-disk drives and a 3-button mouse. To Jobs, a diskless machine with 1 mouse-button was much more “pure.”

3 Likes

Yep, back when you could upgrade your RAM and hard drive (and replace the battery).

All soldered in now. I understand the benefits to size, weight, and reliability, but it does make them more of a disposable commodity.

1 Like

CTRL-[

2 Likes

Apple embracing an open standard interface?!?

6 Likes

I’ve used Sierra since it was in Beta, and have never seen that popup. Not sure why it’s occurring for you, but I don’t think that happens for most people. There might be an unusual setting you have turned on somewhere.

I do, too… for some machines. For a pro-level desktop, it’s insane to not be able to update your own machine. Even Apple store employees I’ve talked to said they cannot recommend the iMac because of it. It’s very frustrating.

1 Like

Don’t care about F-Keys. Do care about Esc. I vi.

1 Like

You can pry my PrntScrn from my cold, dead hands.

3 Likes