New map of medieval London

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/14/new-map-of-medieval-london.html

10 Likes

Grand Theft Auto: Knifecrime Island would be… interesting.

1 Like
8 Likes

Grand Theft Handcart, surely?

5 Likes

It’s not close to 1520, but:

You could drive into Stamford Bridge stadium and do donuts on the pitch.

5 Likes

TV and videogames? Nah, Call of Cthulhu campaign set in Elizabethan England. Dee et al being all occult, spies galore and strange, pagan cultists warring with the churches of Rome and England. The fun to be had!

2 Likes

There was another driving game in the PS2 era set in London that was very GTA3 meets Ray Winstone movie, but I forget the name…

2 Likes

The Getaway.

I worked on it, very peripherally. The name we called it within the studio was “Car 2”.

5 Likes

that’s so cool – so you’d take out one cd, then use the other to expand the game?

similar dynamic to how MGS spanned two discs.

i never played the series before iii, i was under the impression it wasn’t that great and more relied on shock value prior to the PS2 version.

1 Like

The medieval sense of street justice coupled with the ubiquity of weaponry in everyday life meant that even minor infractions could lead to murder. London’s cases include altercations that began over eel-skin littering and careless urination, only to end in homicide

thank goodness we don’t have eel skins in the us, because we certainly have a ubiquity of weaponry and a medieval sense of standing one’s own ground

7 Likes

Can we really trust a Cambridge paper on this?

5 Likes
5 Likes

One of my favourite Hitchcock movies

4 Likes

Yup. Pretty much perfect. I think Truffaud told Hitchcock when he interviewed him that he watched it a couple of times with the strictest intent to analyze it, scrutinize it in detail to see how Hitchcock had done it - but every time he would try this, after a couple of minutes in he would just watch and enjoy it. Now that’s competent praise.

5 Likes

That’s it, yeah. I was crap at it :laughing:

1 Like

They aged badly (weird controls, that kind of thing), but they weren’t considered to be bad games at the time they came out.

But yeah, there wasn’t much plot and a lot of it was done to shock people. I’m glad we moved past the 1990s.

1 Like

politics aside, at least carmageddon had decent gameplay iirc

shocking art can be nice in moderation, but in a gaming context piss christ better have more than just good visuals imho

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.