New materials officewear: dirt-shedding, hydrophobic, breathing, stretchy, odor-absorbing

Thinner and smaller people are real people too. Just because you and I are larger people doesn’t make those who are not into people deserving ridicule and having their humanity denied. This whole Palin like trend of using the word ‘real’ to exclude those who are different than one’s peer group is a terrible fad and I’ll be glad when it fades away. While I agree it would be nice if these clothes come in larger sizes, that’s no reason to attack those who are of the size that these clothes will fit.

Speaking of future fabrics and styles, as ugly as they were, I have to admit that the uniforms from Star Trek: The Motion Picture looked comfortable and practical. Except maybe the weird integrated belt thing.

1 Like

I am a fan of wool and natural fibres, particularly after my adventures with wool socks, from which I’ve concluded a couple things: Wool socks get holes in them. Thus, we add acrylic. As a result, we introduce stench. Therefore, we invent foot powder, shoe insoles, sprays, perfumes, etc, and in so doing, through the miracle of advertising, begin to embed in people’s minds the idea that people stink, and it’s something to be anxious about - but don’t worry, there’s a product that will fix everything (for the moment). It’s been a less than successful design journey, unless you sell deodorants.

My wife knit me a 100% wool socks. I noticed my feet didn’t ever smell. I road tested my observations as they became apparent. I tested a single pair as long as 2-3 weeks of daily use before giving up. They just didn’t smell. Wool socks also never really get wet. If you wear cotton-acrylic socks, you can take off a shoe and have sploshing wet foot. With wool, there will be moisture, but it won’t feel like a damp cloth, and they will dry very quickly. Granted, you now need to wear slippers, and make sure your toe nails are trimmed. It seems an ideal is 100% wool body with acrylic introduced in the toe and heel. They are small enough areas the impact is not too bad. Anyway, I’ve extended this to replace high tech ski clothing with layers of wool jumpers/sweaters and boiled mittens, which have worked well. I bet they’d hold their own competing against Gortex, etc. At the other extreme, my feet have been happy in wool socks and army boots in 42c degree heat. “Thanks to its hygroscopic abilities, wool constantly reacts to changes in body temperature, maintaining its wearer’s thermophysical comfort in both cold and warm weather.” Flame retardant to 600c degrees! Micro-scaled structure repels dirt! Naturally breathable and elastic. Never needs ironing! Includes high UV protection! (If only it was made by robot sheep, wool would get a look in :slight_smile: Quote: http://www.campaignforwool.org/about-wool/

1 Like

That’s… exactly the point. Work pants that are made of cotton are not stretchy.

Sad to see the shirts aren’t properly sized. For $98 I want a shirt that has a 16.5" collar with a 35" sleeve–not some vague range of possible sizes such as 16-16.5 / 34-35. I don’t want to be surprised at the size when I open the package.

If you add too much content, it tends to bunch up and loses flexibility; is harder to clean?

1 Like

85 clicks on your link so far… Somebody at Sansabelt is trying to figure out why their site is experiencing a 8400% increase in hits over their daily average.

4 Likes

It’s also so low a threshold to cross it’s stupid to mention, which was my point. I suppose they could claim they’re stretchier than linen too.

Why in the world is men’s business attire the first thing they make out of this stuff? Where it’s needed is mechanics’ coveralls and baby clothes.

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.