New Moto Razr is a foldable flip smartphone that costs $1500

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/new-moto-razr-is-a-foldable-fl.html

3 Likes

I remember when the first Razor thin flip phone came out. My sister and her husband went out and bought them right away. Then kept upgraded to the newest version of it. It was the iPhone of its day.

I was happy as a clam with my craptastic (but very practical and usable at the time) blackberry that work provided to me.

2 Likes

but why

5 Likes

Are there any real photos? These renders look pretty, but somehow I still expect there to be a crease in the screen. How does this look in real life with real use?

2 Likes

Speaking of “real photos”, the Razr’s secondary cam shows your selfie image as a mirror image! High-tech compact! Wow! :wink: (Refer to ArsT link.)

1 Like

10 Likes

Perfect timing. Verizon is shutting down 3g for New Years, and my flip phone won’t work anymore.

2 Likes

My recollection of the original RAZR is that it primed us for the modern Smartphone market - by having a one day “standby” battery life.

Which, at a time when other phones could get five days, was kind of pathetic.

So even without the nifty folding screen, it’d have that “original” feature…

(Not that it matters so much these days. Power bricks and the ubiquity of the USB connector means charging is so much easier!)

2 Likes

The old RAZRs were pretty cool. My ex loved his, because he said it was like having a Star Trek (OS) communicator.

That price tho… I like new tech, but it’s way too rich for my blood. I figure when my ancient phone gives up the ghost, I can get a refurbished device, fairly close to top-of-the-range in my model’s line, for less than a third of that cost. Works for me.

6 Likes

So do I; It was a badly-designed piece of shit.

4 Likes

Yep. There’s a reason you could buy them unlocked for a dollar back in 2008. The reason is, they’re trash.

3 Likes

I had a 2nd gen in '08; the buttons were a big fatigue point, IIRC.

No lie.

2 Likes

The disposable Razr?

5 Likes

Basically, yes. Kyocera was making even cheaper knockoffs too.

Oh, that’s what I had. But it worked pretty well.

exactly like the old one…

yikes

3 Likes

I don’t want this $1500 Razr! I want a Razr V3 upgraded with higher-resolution screens, 4G network capability, and KaiOS to make it “smart” on lower-power-consumption, higher-battery-life hardware. I want the pocketability, and the durability of the aluminum case. There’s a huge market for something durable for people who work in places hostile to today’s smartphones, but it’s mostly people who don’t have $1500 in disposable income; people like plumbers or machinists, distribution center workers, etc. People who want this kind of Razr can, of course buy this one, but I hope Motorola makes the one I want, too.

Hmmm… I don’t know…
Does it come with TOS ringtones?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.