New music video for Tom Petty's 'Gainesville,' nostalgic song left off of 1998 album

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/new-music-video-for-tom-petty.html

2 Likes

“‘Gainesville’ is this guy who is looking back on this early life with some nostalgia for a simpler time.

I lived in G’ville between 90 and 02. Much like the USA, simpler times that exist in someone’s dreams don’t really exist in real life Gainesville.

2 Likes

The drummer in my old band lived in Gainesville as a kid, and sometimes I would play the sax lick from Gerry Rafferty’s “Baker Street” in guitar solos and it would piss him off, apparently it reminded him of Gainesville in a depressing way.

1 Like

i lived in Gainesville for 10 years, and it’s cool to see so many familiar places in this clip. Had I directed this video, though, I would have had local TP cover band Heavy Petty in a starring role.

Tom’s been a favorite son in Gainesville for decades, but it’s always been a kind of complicated relationship. The perception is that he left for LA as soon as he could and never really looked back. Gainesville fans have been dying for some recognition (see the “out on 441” controversy about “American Girl”), and they’re really excited to finally get it. Sad that it had to be after his death, though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.