New national poll shows top 4 Democrats beating Trump

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/new-national-poll-shows-top-4.html

7 Likes

I voted today and I am f’ing ready to do it again!

20 Likes

Hope that trend holds. If he goes down in 2020 he’s going to cry “election fraud!” no matter what, but if he loses by anything shy of a double-digit margin there will be even more people ready to believe him.

28 Likes

The people that believe him will do so regardless of the results.

8 Likes

Good news, but we’re going to need to do even better than this to overcome gerrymandering, hacked voting machines, voter suppression, and purging. It’s gonna be a lot of work.

8 Likes

I fear that even with a double digit whomping, he’ll do more damage to the soul of the nation in those ten-ish weeks between Election day and Innauguration day than he did in the preceding four years.

Ten weeks of temper-tantrums, twitter-ranting, floating notions about not vacating the office (to see how much support it garners from his base).

In short, even if he loses in a landslide, he’ll do his damnedest to literally start a civil war.

South Carolina seceded more than two months before Lincoln was inaugurated. I don’t see ⊥rump’s know-nothing minions being any less peremptory.

12 Likes

33 Likes

Assuming he keeps alienating entire key groups (such as the military/veterans), hanging himself by his own noose with this impeachment thing, and/or the economy continues faltering, methinks Trump is in for a spectacular defeat next year.

4 Likes

It don’t mean sheeit without the EC votes.

2 Likes

Didn’t we learn that national polls are meaningless when it comes to electing a President? Yeah, great Democrats are winning by double-digits at the national level, but it’s a toss-up or close to it in the states that can give Trump 238.

It’s not at all implausible that Trump could lose the popular vote by ten million votes and still win the election. And then our system is well and truly fucked.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Sure, sure, cool, but how do the numbers look in Moscow?

11 Likes

It still boggles my mind that there hasn’t been a Republican President who entered office with a majority of the Popular Vote since the 1980s.

20 Likes

“You see, with the Democrats it takes four of them to beat me. Completely unfair! But we’ll still win in 2020, believe me!” /s

11 Likes

Actual headline is “New national poll shows top 4 democrats beating Trump by double digits.”

I get they can still lose, I really do, but the whole, “If they pick [candidate X] they’re screwed” thing (whether X is Biden, Bernie, Warren, or Buttigieg, since people say it about all of them) is maybe getting a little too much air time.

14 Likes

Periodic reminder to not listen to individual polls: what matters is the general polling consensus. Highlighting individual polls is disingenuous, and behavior that BB has previously mocked.

3 Likes

It’s part of the narrative that Democratic front-runners are somehow outliers in the political spectrum, instead of acknowledging that most of their policy positions are broadly popular across the board. Remember, Trump voters are economically anxious, and Democratic voters are radicals.

(except for Biden–he sucks and I do think we might be in some trouble if he gets the nomination)

5 Likes

“He lost by a double digit margin? But the people who voted against him are poor, or minorities, or women, or Never-Trump Republicans, or (gasp) Democrats! Their votes don’t count!”

4 Likes

My first read of the post title was a literal image of Sanders, Warren et al. just curb stomping the daylight out of trump.

15 Likes

Oh, be still, my heart!! You had me at “curb stomp!”

11 Likes