New national poll shows top 4 Democrats beating Trump

Sanders looks great in combat boots. Just saying.

4 Likes

Deepfake Warren, Sanders et al doing a trump beat down Office Space style STAT!

9 Likes

Nice to hear, but all the Dems really need to campaign on the assumption that this is going to be a photo finish, with the fate of liberal democracy hanging in the balance. We don’t need a repeat of the festival of complacency and incompetence that was the 2016 Clinton campaign.

15 Likes

That would be brilliant. Come on internet. Provide!

3 Likes

Unless the story is [candidate X] beats Trump 76-24, it isn’t worth repeating. Trump can win re-election with as little as 25% of the vote.

2 Likes

Working as intended?

3 Likes

He won initial election with a hair less than 25%, so this is an absolutely valid point. Turnout is key. Get active, get out, get your friends out, get your family out, VOTE.

ETA: Not directed at you, obviously.

4 Likes

That wasn’t what I was trying to say. Democrats can win blue states with 100% of the vote, but if Republicans take enough of the other states with 50%+1 then they still win.

Turnout is vitally important but so is campaign strategy.

7 Likes

Like, I think any of them can lose because crazy shit can happen. But I don’t think Biden will lose for the reasons people think Biden will lose. Trump needed literally everything to go right to beat Hilary Clinton. Sort of like how if you win the basketball game by 1 point you could look back and point to every single basket, every single rebound, every single steal, etc. and say, “That was the winning play.” because if any of them hadn’t happened you would have lost.

In exactly the same way, I see Trump’s path to beating Biden as exactly Trump’s path to beating Clinton except that Biden is a man, and Trump needs those misogynist votes. (And yes, there are some people who were really excited to vote for Clinton because they so wanted to see the first woman become president, but every damn one of them is coming out to vote for Jeffrey Dalmer over Donald Trump at this point).

And on this topic, in addition to what I said above, I just can’t imagine any Democrat campaign neglecting Michigan again (not for at least a generation).

I think anyone can lose, I think the idea that there is a deep necessity of them picking one candidate or the other to win is bullshit. Of course, also, no matter who they pick, if they do lose, all we’re going to hear is “you would have won if you’d picked X”. I mean for the remaining four or five hours that America exists, anyway.

6 Likes

I’d hope so, but I’ve also seen Biden in action. If he’s the nominee, I have no doubt he’ll manage to say something that defames the entire state shortly before election day.

9 Likes

I’d make a joke about Biden running on a “poison Michigan’s water” platform, but that’s already the Republican platform and holy christ almighty how is this happening?!?

10 Likes

we got him this time for sure

1 Like

But only if they use their powers to assemble into Voteron!

1 Like

I keep addressing my prayers for a [ Warren/Sanders | Sanders/Warren ] ticket. Policy wonk ++ Idealist … I’d buy that for a dollar. And for Sanders at least, that style of small individual contribution is exactly what he’s looking for.

3 Likes

I’d put even odds on him calling Governor “Usurpation of Local Authority” up there in MI a “decent guy”. Then spending the next 2 weeks before the election with his head up his own ass wondering why everyone is suddenly so mad at him.

6 Likes

I think this poll is worthless. Unless a poll is a state by state poll and adds up the electoral votes the results are misleading. It doesn’t matter if the Dems win California by 5% or 50%, they get the same electoral votes.

Until Democrats take their collective asses out of their butts and learn to count electoral votes, Trump will win. In the coming election only 15 states matter, we know what the other 35 will vote. Meanwhile the Democrats are failing to register the Puerto Ricans living in Florida who have a natural inclination to hate Trump.

I remember what the polls said in the run up to 2016. Unfortunately.

And IIRC, the polls predicted the margin of Clinton’s popular vote win pretty accurately. Trump won because he got a critical few tens of thousands of votes in the right (or wrong) places, pushing him into an EC win.

5 Likes

Where can I send the bill for a new keyboard? Mine seems to have tea all over it now thanks to you.

2 Likes

… until we see night time scenes in the news of explosions and missiles launching from destroyers with flapping stars-and-stripes in the background. Then it’s all “We have to support the president in times of war/crisis”. Seen it before with Bush junior.