New Ohio law requires full funeral services after abortions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/new-ohio-law-requires-full-funeral-services-after-abortions.html

5 Likes

This stuff is sickening. If these pro-lifers did care one wit about the unborn or people in general then they’d take on the cost of such things rather than impose them onto others. And the moment a baby is born the pro-lifers leave it to fate to care for it. So much for being pro-life.

36 Likes

22 Likes

Now that there’s conservative majority on the SCOTUS, prepare for a full-court press from the Xtianists when it comes to these “the cruelty is the point” laws.

31 Likes

Not the time to be flippant, but seriously my first thought is “more like pro-strife, am I right?” These people seem to thrive on making other people’s lives more difficult rather than any attempt to support life. These kinds of policies don’t prevent abortion, just punish women for asserting their rights.

15 Likes

More pro-birth than pro-life, but generally just anti-women.

20 Likes

This is part & parcel of why America is one of the most ridiculous countries on Earth. Bravo!

4 Likes

Yep. I’ve posted this before, by Sister Joan Chittister:

“I do not believe that just because you’re opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don’t? Because you don’t want any tax money to go there. That’s not pro-life. That’s pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is.”

26 Likes

An embryo of an abortion and an embryo of a miscarriage are the same.

In Ohio, are they going to punish every person who has suffered through a miscarriage the same way?

16 Likes

Probably, if they can? :rage:

24 Likes

Said it before, and I’ll say it again.

Woman, woman’s doctor.

If you aren’t either one of those, GTFO and STFU.

Bonus: if you are a male politician REALLY, REALLY STFU.

8 Likes

Start a Funeral Home service in OH, work with any place that provides abortions, and run “Full Services” for them. Of course, that “Full Service” can just be the same as how things are handled now, just allows someone to check off the box that it was done.

5 Likes

I figured part of this came about after heavy lobbying by some funeral home associated union. But I’d love to be wrong and see them protest the need.

7 Likes

I recommend doing each funeral New Orleans-style, adding a legion of bagpipers including the darth vader flaming bike guy if available, around the Ohio StateHouse.

3 Likes

No. Treat women has full citizens. That’s the solution.

21 Likes

Court jester ≠ ruling party.

1 Like

The rights of women in Ohio (or in other states passing laws like this) aren’t a joke? :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

No, it explicitly limits it to aborted fetal remains. It is modeled on the Indiana law that was upheld in the courts with that restriction. An earlier Texas law lacked that restriction and was struck down in the courts.

2 Likes

There’s nothing funny about this misogynistic bullshit.

15 Likes

Between this and the stand your ground law he just passed, looking like Ohio is the next Florida.

New slogan for ohio-

“Ohio, America’s industrial and moral wasteland!”

2 Likes