Pennsylvania to Ohio: we see your terrible life-threatening anti-abortion bill and raise you with funerals for unimplanted, fertilized eggs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/01/midwestern-gilead.html

6 Likes

Do they have a law requiring funerals for people who passed away AFTER being born? Normally that’s the kind of decision left to the family.

36 Likes

anigif_sub-buzz-5329-1566514110-1

30 Likes

these mother fuckers are trying to get their last licks before trump and his ilk go down the drain

23 Likes

Hang in there, RBG.

42 Likes

A newly-fertilized egg is much, much smaller than that; you’d need a microscope.

But then, the point of this kind of law isn’t to be practical, it’s to plant a flag on behalf of religious cults seeking to terrorise decent folk into submission (“terrorists”, if you will).

32 Likes

Can we just agree that all menstruating women will save their tampons monthly, and present them to the Medical Examiner for a death certificate? Hell, I’ll pick ‘em up, drive them over and demand a necropsy. Let’s see how long this foolishness lasts then.

24 Likes

Nah. The Republicans only care (or pretend to care) about children until they’re born. After that, it’s all “screw the poor!” with glee.

25 Likes

Republicans believe the right to life begins at fertilization and ends at birth.

(I wish that were a joke.)

49 Likes

I’m only surprised that it’s taken the forced-birth crowd this long to get around to legislation regarding unimplanted fertilized ova.

7 Likes

This is GOP theater and nothing more. They know that Governor Wolf will veto this and most of them don’t care because all they want to do is go back to their districts and say “look at how pro-life I am.”

13 Likes

pretending to care about children until they are born is just another way to “screw the poor”.

15 Likes

I disagree. This another shot in the never–ending war to control women’s bodies.

It strikes me, as I think about it, as being sort of like Marx’s vision of capitalism, with Patriarchalists (unfortunately not limited to the GOP) trying to exert control over the means of reproduction. In the same way that capitalism leads to inequity, Patriarchalism has manifold bad outcomes, like rape culture and cruel laws that criminalize gender.

I’m not sure if that makes any sense. Back to the matter at hand— fuck you, Pennsylvania. Go back to Kentucky where you belong.

22 Likes

Yet another tactic intended to get “the right kind of voters” to the polls, who then tend to vote far-right. Anti-choice is nothing more than a religious right voting tactic that works. Payback from politicians is “religious freedom” exemptions from anti-discrimination laws, etc. It’s a deal w/ the Devil.

9 Likes

Totally legit proposition. How do we get started?

1 Like

And @DCTM

Better yet, dump them at the door of the State House offices of these maroons.

5 Likes

Much better idea.

2 Likes

One more component of the nesting doll: it’s a sideways way of going after women who have sex. The only way a straight cis woman can know she doesn’t have fertilized eggs is to not have sex, or undergo birth control methods that will end up being highly restricted.

Lesbians and transmen who can potentially become pregnant are also not “godly” enough, and they, too will be dealt with. Transwomen are not women to these people. But they, too will find themselves facing consequences under a future law. People who write these sorts of things aren’t interested in stopping at abortion.

Make no mistake, this is not about preventing abortion. This is about complete and utter control of people’s bodies. Not cismen’s. Certainly not white cis men. But everyone else.

26 Likes
20 Likes

No joke; that’s exactly how the women of PA & OH need to respond to this - with a Bloody Protest.

Hell, I’ll chip in a couple of bucks for crowd-funding.

20 Likes