New photo of Earth between Saturn's rings can shift your perspective on our reality

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/21/new-photo-of-earth-between-sat.html

2 Likes

New photo of Earth between Saturn’s rings can shift your perspective on our reality

Dang, that was trippy.

5 Likes

ooh, i love stuff like this so much. i think it’s why i never tire of the opening sequence of The Expanse. that moment when the dark side of the moon lights up with city lights makes me tear up with hope.

5 Likes

On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives.

Except for the potentially several Russians lost in space.

1 Like

I’ve never really seen the point of the “pale blue dot” analogy. Is it meant to convince us of our utter insignificance in the universe? Of the futility of everything we do and everything we value?

Lost cosmonauts are still represented in that picture, since wherever their remains are today, they certainly didn’t leave Earths orbit.

1 Like

That we are all in the same boat?

3 Likes

Any of them patashniks?

SEE ALSO: similar imagery from four years ago

“Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every “superstar,” every “supreme leader,” every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there…”

I still think that Trump originated from planet FuckAllOfYou.

3 Likes

I think it’s meant to bring people together as an “us” instead of a lot of us and thems.

5 Likes

“I’m a really terrific and great guy… Hey, is that really a piece of fairy cake?”

2 Likes

That whatever our individual worries and stresses, when you look at the big picture we’re all in this together.

3 Likes

Some day I’m going to play the Expanse opening sequence with the music from Game of Thrones.

Edit: Oh yeah, that works, except that GoT is 1:30, and TE is 1:00.

Wake up sheeple. That dot is so obviously photoshopped. There is NO Earth.

They’re similar enough already, both thematically and musically. And Holden is practically Jon Snow In Space.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.