New police footage shows people in Florida getting arrested just for voting (video)

I believe DeSantis has targeted ex-felons excluded from the restoration of voting rights—sex offenders and certain violent offenses. I haven’t read that these were prohibited solely for unpaid fines. I think he’s trying to cast them as “very bad people” to justify his bullshit.

3 Likes

unless it’s changed - and i’m nearly certain it hasn’t - florida doesn’t provide a way for people to verify whether they have fines or not. it’s set up to entrap people

( also how it’s legal to charge people for their own imprisonment is beyond me )

5 Likes

If the Florida Secretary of State can’t verify these fines…

1 Like

Original language on ballot approving Constitutional Amendment restoring felons’ right to vote in Florida:

“This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.”

The nonsense regarding payment of fines was the Florida Legislature’s overreach enacting laws to "carry out " the intention of the amendment. F.S. 98.0751(2)(a)5 is where they added to the definition of “completing all terms of their sentence” the full payment of restitution, fines, fees, etc.

Yet another example of how elected officials (especially GQP) don’t actually enact the laws their constituents want.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.