New Raspberry Pi 3 — speedier, with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth LE

hmm

the interview has this bit.

“Although this is a 64-bit core, on day one, we’re only going to be running 32-bit code. We’re still running Raspbian, which is our ARMv6 operating system. There are some benefits from going 64-bit, primarily it brings a broader range of operating systems [onto the Raspberry Pi].” — Eben Upton

1 Like

Raspbian is not everything. I expect a true 64bit distro, maybe even a raspbian clone, to appear soon.

1 Like

There’s this bit from the Ars article:

“The main reason we’re excited about Cortex A53 is it’s a better 32-bit
processor [than A7]. You can run in 32-bit mode,” Upton said. 64-bit ARM
processors also support a new ARMv8 instruction set that’s capable of
speeding up both 32-bit and 64-bit operations.

1 Like

Uh, yeah. It’s 32 more bits, therefore it’s better. Duh.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if what shakes out will end up being 32 or 64 bit(you do tend to pay slightly higher memory costs for 64 bit binaries; and devices that are 64 bit capable and actually offer enough RAM to make 32 bit involve the horrors of PAE are still pretty rare in ARM land); but at least this should allow them to shake off the really freaky “Debian ARM Hard Float; but rebuilt to work on the ARMv6-but-with-HF rather than ARMv7” stuff that the BCM2835 required.

I assume that ‘raspbian’, or an equivalent, will persist as ‘the Debian designed to play nicely with rPis’ but being based on an ARMv8 part; like basically all recent and upcoming ARM widgets, rather than a oddball hybrid, should mean that it is much closer to just being a slightly customized list of default packages, rather than a fairly enormous amount of recompilation. (It will be interesting to see if this advantage turns out to be a disadvantage for users of the older, pre rPi-2, models: even with hard float support, the newer ones are substantially faster; so it is possible, though by no means certain, that interest in maintaining the v6-with-HF stuff might largely evaporate, leaving legacy users to either run older Raspbian builds or the soft float Debian ARM that will run on practically anything; while the people who need the power move on to superior silicon that also has better compatibility with the rest of the universe. Time will tell, I suppose.)

1 Like

6 bit:

24 bit:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.