New research shows that female octopuses throw objects at males who annoy them

Originally published at: New research shows that female octopuses throw objects at males who annoy them | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Good for them!

12 Likes

Well sure, that’s just what happens when you won’t stop making thirsty jokes about “octopussy.”

16 Likes

Story checks out

5 Likes

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

8 Likes

This appears to be a version of the Shell Game. Play shell games, get shell prizes.

6 Likes

If you annoy her, shell throw something at you?

12 Likes

So the human equivalent of getting a flip flop thrown at your head?

5 Likes

abuela’s chancla is no joke. don’t piss off abuela!

8 Likes

So, she’s squirting all the little squirts?

1 Like

Proof of much higher intelligence and social awareness than humans give them credit for.

10 Likes

I stopped eating octopus after learning more about them. If they were longer lived, they would probably take over!

11 Likes

9 Likes

I used to love pulpo, grilled, steamed, raw. but no longer eat them, I just can’t. after encounters in the wild and watching My Octopus Teacher, I see them in entirely new light and won’t eat them anymore.

10 Likes

In 2015, Peter Godfrey-Smith at the University of Sydney and his colleagues filmed several common Sydney octopuses ( Octopus tetricus ) interacting at a site in Jervis Bay dubbed “Octopolis”.

Octopodes

It is one of the few places in the otherwise sandy sea bottom where octopuses can make dens, so there are an unusual number of the animals in a small area.

Again, octopodes

3 Likes

Alas, it would seem that usage of any of the three endings for the plural of octopus is correct. Of course, octopodes is the most correct.
I’m just now reading this guys book about the evolution of consciousness in vertebrates and cephalopods. Nifty stuff!

A fake octopus is an octoposer.

A group of angry ones seeking justice is an octoposse

A tentacle doctor is an octopodiatrist

Alien plants that try to imitate an octopus are octopodpeople

8 Likes
4 Likes

rimshot GIF

4 Likes

Octopi is not at all correct, so I don’t know which three you reference. And even though octopodes might be the most technically correct if one speaks Greek and feels a need to adhere to Greek grammar, it is an unusual form in English. In terms of commonly-correct usage, octopuses is the most correct.

Let the games begin.

5 Likes