Octopus attacks and kills a dolphin from within, while being eaten

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/22/octopus-attacks-and-kills-a-do.html

6 Likes

Brutal! Way to go down fighting Octo-dude.

4 Likes

I think this is the true moral of the story:

16 Likes

An inspiring metaphor for the triumph of the downtrodden…well, unless you’re considering eating the rich…

[edited to remove greedy octopus, per @LutherBlisset’s note below…I wasn’t aware of the anti-semitic connection…]

Also…Oldboy sequel? I’d cringe-watch.

4 Likes

RIP you two bad asses.

8 Likes

Whereas Oedipus cut himself.

Also, octopi?

2 Likes

Death by choking also happens to several people each year who eat live squid, mostly in Korea.
http://www.culinary-training.info/blog/the-most-dangerous-and-lethal-food-in-the-world/

@TheGreatParis - I use octopi too, but we and Clive are both about equally “wrong.”

3 Likes

Out in the open ocean there aren’t a lot of choices for what to eat. That dolphin was probably psyched to get some calamari, and unless you’re a scavenger everything you eat is alive and kicking.

3 Likes

That just killed my plans to swing by Black Bear Diner for breakfast this morning. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Also:

Don’t snort fish, kids!

They’ll just lodge in your nasal cavities and you’ll asphyxiate!

(per the Marine Mammal Science report linked in the OP, citing IJsseldijk, et. al. 2015)

3 Likes
5 Likes

After tide pods now the kids will switch to cephalopods.

Of course they’re not so tough once floured and fried.

7 Likes

Octopuses, or if you want to be a pedant octopodes but English plurals work just fine. Fake Latin plurals on the other hand don’t for words derived from Greek.

But I hate fake Latin plurals for English words even when they are of Latin origin.

8 Likes

Ok i was on the fence but now i’m definitely not trying live octopus!

2 Likes

Marine life is weird.

3 Likes

But but but …dolphins are nice!

2 Likes

Squid is calamari, octopus is Polpo.

5 Likes

Do not mess with octopuses, people. They will cut you. They will cut you while they are inside you and dying.

And Australian.

Cthulu bats last.

Shit, is that a bumper sticker yet?

2 Likes

Cooking (or chopping up) your food before eating - it might save your life!

3 Likes