New scientific paper shows the Mandela Effect is real

It may do. But the Reddit info doesn’t really support that adequately.

At best we can say that someone recently posted what is claimed to be what the artist now says he thought back then.

We don’t know whether that really was the artist. We don’t know whether the artist would have given that answer if asked back when he actually made the image. We don’t know if the artist is being honest.

We can say that the Reddit thread is one for/by people who believe in the Mandela Effect phenomenon. So I’d personally take anything that claims to be evidence for a supposed instance of the Effect with as much salt as I can possibly get hold of.

3 Likes

The part I’m most fascinated by is my own mental dissonance of knowing the logo looks one way, and yet recollection insisting it looks another. It’s a weird perception gap, like watching an illusionist perform a trick, rationally knowing it’s a trick, all the while my eyes are saying “but the assistant is really sawn into pieces!”

The intimacy of false memory is an illusion just played for one person, though. Instead of being part of an audience, agreeing to be fooled, we feel that reality has somehow adjusted itself to play a game of gotcha.

I think expectations really force our thinking. My wife and I experienced this with a local shop we were sure was called “Captain’s” which we had been customers of on multiple occasions… until we realized we’d read and said the name wrong for years and Mandela’d ourselves. (“Cartan’s”)

4 Likes

Wasn’t this always called the “Mandala Effect”?

7 Likes

That’s not how I remember it.

8 Likes

You’re thinking of the “Mahna-Mahna” Effect.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.