New Senator from California can't explain why she didn't prosecute Trump's Treasury pick when she was AG

Obviously this is a shitty thing Kamala did, but how many other state AG’s went after these guys? How many other state AGs went after anyone involved in the financial crisis? NOT MANY.

3 Likes

Obvious? I can’t even understand what you said! :confused:

Seriously, I think that’s one of the problems. Nowadays nobody understands nothing. I sure don’t.

2 Likes

Poorly-sourced anecdote alert:

In the middling days of the crash, a friend of mine, straight out of law school, took on a few clients who had been tricked into bad mortgages or were otherwise swindled by small-time realtor/loan agent/title agent confidence games. He won a few cases and saved a few houses.

A year or so into this, he started getting mortgage-fraud casefiles kicked to him by state and federal prosecutors. Like, “Hey, we’re totally never going to follow through on this stuff but maybe you, a semi-employed freelance attorney in Minnesota, would be interested in picking up our slack.”

So, yeah, as you say… NOT MANY.

7 Likes

“Follow the green paper road,” sang the Mnuchin.

3 Likes

"Note that Harris is a Democrat."
Is anyone still naive enough to think that makes the slightest difference in a politician these days?

5 Likes

Once again…

Q: Why do millions of Americans not vote?

A: Because they accurately perceive that both parties are massively corrupt and do not represent their interests.

GOP or Dem, the kleptocrats are still in charge.

10 Likes

Right, but…how much effort -would- it take to get them to unfollow the ‘one weird trick’ things they somehow follow? Life would be so much easier if they swapped out a Jeff Sessions for a Jeff Sharlet!
…which is to say I hadn’t ranked the slightest differences per se.

4 Likes

But we’ll always have enough cops on the street assaulting people who aren’t white.

3 Likes

Ding ding ding - winner!

1 Like

Don’t blame me, I voted for Sanchez.

1 Like

Local and state elections are ghost towns where the non-corrupt passionate people were replaced by big money-backed party d-bags because it took convincing a couple hundred to swing the election. The kleptocrats are in control at all levels now because the public was asleep at the wheel, and has been for an entire generation now. Hell when I was born there was a massive variety in political representation that is not there whatsoever now.

The change needs to be getting people to the polls to vote anything to normalize voting with high turnout and then let actual public pressure make a difference.

1 Like

The difficulty there is that the best way of getting voters to the polls is to stop being corrupt and start actually representing their interests (as was demonstrated in the states where Bernie wasn’t crippled by closed primaries or media blackout).

Disillusioned non-voters ain’t gonna turn out for the slightly-less-bigoted plutocrats that the corporate Dems put up. The experience of the last forty years has shown that doing that just gets you a slightly smoother slide towards peonage, and the urgent existential threats of the modern reality make long-term incremental strategies suicidal.

It’s a bootstrap problem.

2 Likes

That’s how you get a 2008, you know the one that still had sub-60% participation. A whole bump of 3-4% from 2016 with the two most hated candidates there have been. I also specifically referenced small elections that have dismal voter turnout and big money has drummed out good politicians that were not corrupt because people don’t care. Voting is a pain in the ass, and people don’t care if they don’t vote and blaming the candidates is an easy excuse since they know nothing about anything else on the ballot but the presidential candidate.

Get people to the polls then they will start to care about what they voted for, because getting people to care hasn’t worked.

1 Like

Huh. I can’t explain it either. Nope. Can’t explain that.

Could be that’s actually true, that she is really bad about pursuing cases in general, unless they are good for political grandstanding against a defendant who doesn’t have big money to donate…

On second thought, seems like you are spot on.

3 Likes

The micro-scale of US elections is part of the problem.

Over here, we vote in three elections only: local council, state government, federal government. That’s all; no votes for judges, sheriffs, school boards, dogcatchers, etc.

It’s already hard enough getting people to care about the council elections; no way in hell could you get them to give a shit about anything below that level. Even within this system, the local councils are notorious hotbeds of corruption, largely because no one cares enough to pay close attention to what they do until they’re personally affected.

This is a major part of why the non-US world doesn’t elect petty officials. Elections that no-one cares about are much too vulnerable to corruption and manipulation.

2 Likes

Blame me, then. Voted for Harris. Seemed like the thing to do since I was voting for Hillary, and they seem similar in some ways - not really the candidate I wanted, but one who could be successful, even if she was way too corporate for my tastes. And Sanchez seemed scattered. Sigh…

I agree it is part of the problem, but without voters it can’t change and if most people vote people will complain about ballot length. I mean it’s a bit of a chicken and the egg but passion isn’t something you can force on people, while you can get people to vote.

So who was my other choice again? It’s been a while.

Yeah, I am puzzled why “Register of Deeds” is an elected official. Let’s just hire a good one and keep her in there. Or constable? I’m not even sure what a constable does. Serve papers, I think. Why would we need to vote on that?