New sighting of a thylacine, a thought-to-be-extinct carnivorous marsupial

Thylacine are marsupial, not dog type Dingo critters. They carried their young in a pouch like a Kangaroo.

2 Likes

Disclaimer: I want this to be true. But it ain’t, subject to extraordinary evidence showing up.

This. Most likely as a result of competition with dingos, which came with humans across the Sahul Shelf 40-60,000 years ago.

4 Likes

Just a reminder:

People also “see” bigfoot and Nessie all the time as well…

3 Likes

I’d love for this to be true but while Australia’s not that densely populated I don’t see how it could be near Adelaide. If he was in Tasmania especially outside of Hobart, maybe. Heck just look at a map of Australia - then map of Adelaide, map of Tassie.

1 Like

Those huge fires last year may have pushed animals out of their usual areas. I know next to nothing about Oz except that it’s big and most of the people live near the coast.

3 Likes

The way I understand it, the genetics of the cheetah indicate that the species was basically down to a single pregnant mom at one point. Thats my main logic for thinking these still might be out there.

I would be so happy to know this creature exists. I know humans get hung up on charismatic megafauna, but c’mon!

2 Likes

I was on this island one time without my camera and saw a velociraptor. I swear it.

2 Likes

Granted, the fires were bad. But they weren’t so bad as to force potential thylacines off Tasmania - an island off the south-east of Australia, separated from the mainland by Bass Strait - onto South Australia and then slightly inland into the Adelaide Hills.

8 Likes

I saw a dodo on my run this morning. /lying

2 Likes

They had enough of a superficial resemblance to dogs that “someone saw a dog and mistook it for a thylacine” seems considerably more likely than “someone saw a living thylacine and it wasn’t even in Tasmania.”

7 Likes

Nobody here is saying anything different. That doesn’t mean they look like dogs and it’s much more likely that that’s what he saw.

1 Like

I’ve been snickering at those words for 40+ years and I’m not going to stop now just because I’m a grown-up.

5 Likes

Well according to this, they didn’t go unnoticed.

I mean you’re probably right and this wasn’t a thylacine but it always amuses/annoys me that any time anyone says they saw something unusual, the first reaction is “That can’t be, people would notice”.

I picture the guy who made the sighting standing off to one side, sadly wondering “Am I not a person?”

In a way that’s related to the dingoes eating babies thing.

Some poor woman claims a dingo took her baby. People say “that’s very unlikely. No one has reported dingoes eating babies before. We don’t believe you.”

“Hey, I just reported that a dingo ate my child!”

2 Likes

Beat me to it…“as the actress said to the bishop”

There’s probably a younger generation for whom this makes no sense. Then given our governments terrible stance on climate change, give it a few years and it will probably become relevant again :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Nature…somehow…finds…a way

1 Like

Also:

4 Likes

Nah. It was just Pee Wee.

Hello,

It would be nice if this were true. My understanding is that the thylacine disappeared from mainland Australia before Tasmania, though, so it seems unlikely it would have survived there. If it did, though, one thing I would wonder about is if they were the same species as the one from the Tasmanian Islands. It seems that the last time Tasmania was connected to Australia was about 12,000 years ago. Is this long enough for genetic drift to have occurred?

2 Likes

You may have accidentally added a zero there. Most experts think dingos arrived here around 4,000 years ago, based on fossils. There is also a significant minority proposing around 6,000 years, based on genetic differences from the New Guinea native dogs.

1 Like

Ahhh, thanks for correction. I’d made the assumption they came over with the first (or early) humans to come over.

1 Like