New study finds 27% of Californians age 12-17 are gender nonconforming

Olympic rules have considered this question. And set out reasonable guidelines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/25/ioc-rules-transgender-athletes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery

It’s problematic to suggest that we should limit a groups rights because someone who isn’t a member of that group may do something unethical or illegal.

It’s not completely unlike people arguing against marriage equality because some guy may fake being gay to get those fabulous benefits.

7 Likes

If you consider that reasonable, I’m also inclined to consider that reasonable.

The data isn’t there to make that assessment. It’s not like we’re even included in the census. It’s also worth noting that the violence is much higher for trans women than trans guys. Gender, gender identity and race all need to be broken out - trans women who are African Americans are most of these victims.

I can also say that over the last few years in my city there were several murders that the police didn’t originally identify as having trans victims - and had to be pushed to identity as such. We don’t know ones never were reported as such. I also know of one attempted murder/hate crime here where the victim requested to not be so identified- again- I’m sure there are others I don’t know.

If you’re looking for general discrimination and violence stats - the lgbt anti violence project may be helpful for hate crimes- the National Center for Transgender Equality’s national transgender discrimination survey has more about levels of discrimination - and some violence info.

12 Likes

Fair enough. Thank you for clarification.

NOW will you listen to Roy Moore!?

2 Likes

He’s starting a Lou Reed tribute band?

Edit

Strike that. He’s starting a Jayne County tribute band?

3 Likes

People are treated as second-class citizens because of prejudice.

Think about that and what transgender people face before you jump to the conclusion that a large number of people might start claiming to be transgender so they could commit fraud.

10 Likes

No. He’s starting an Anita Bryant tribute band.

4 Likes

Now I wanna hear Anita Bryant sing “Cream in my Jeans.”

4 Likes

Who doesn’t?

3 Likes

I overheard this at a local park while my kid was playing. The local high schoolers were just out of school, and a group that probably would have been the “cool kids” who’d in my era would definitely have been the persecuters, were having an empathetic discussion of a non-present friend who was bummed out because he just broke up with his boyfriend. Not snarky, not gossipy, just trying to figure out what they could do for a friend who just lost the obvious eternal love of his life (ah, highschool…)

10 Likes

Playing Overwatch i’ve befriended someone who is trans and i believe they’re a high school senior. Their significant other is also trans. The fact that this is a thing that can be casually brought up and is not a big deal really makes me happy.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.