New study: Pfizer and Moderna vaccines' immune response may last a lifetime

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/06/28/new-study-pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-immune-response-may-last-a-lifetime.html

14 Likes

Of course, that depends on enough people getting vaccinated before the virus significantly mutates.

Which means more booster shots for residents of the U.S. in the future. Thanks, Know-Nothings, anti-vaxxers and Covidiots!

31 Likes

What do you all think of the Pfizer 1st dose/Moderna 2nd dose medley?
Due for my second and I fear I’ll be mixing mRNA… Is there something to be feared?

2 Likes

Just fear itself…

19 Likes

20 Likes

Oh boy, you’re really got that fear look in your eye.

12 Likes

It is recommended to get the same version if possible because that is how the trials were done. From what I have heard many experts considerer those two so similar that it very likely works just as well even if it hasn’t been explicitly tested.

13 Likes

The very long-term effects are only hypothetical, and if they bear out, would only do so for people who had contracted the virus. Pretty crucial thing to leave out of your headline.

Based on those findings, researchers suggested that immunity might last for years, possibly a lifetime, in people who were infected with the coronavirus and later vaccinated. But it was unclear whether vaccination alone might have a similarly long-lasting effect.

16 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
Logic dictates…

1 Like

The very next sentence begins “Dr. Ellebedy’s team sought to address that question by….” It was unclear, so they did a study that looked into it and found vaccination generates the same response.

14 Likes

Even before a significant mutation occurs, just the delta variant will cause some problems. It’s hitting the UK pretty hard, and although the vaccines in common use in the US are more effective against it, it’s more likely to get vaccinated people sick, it’s more contagious, more likely to infect young people and increases the percentage of the population that needs to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. All those covidiots are going to be causing problems both immediate and long-term.

15 Likes

I’m sure that the anti-vaxxers have already twisted it around. “Experimental vaccines with life-long effects…”

16 Likes

You’re correct. I saw one on Twitter asking “Does this mean vaccinated people will have permanent inflammation?”

8 Likes

Is that a thing? Is there a reason people or you are doing that?

5 Likes

It’s happening.
People may have been given Pfizer for first dose, but supplies for Moderna were so high that upon arrival for second dose they’re offered Moderna, so people are walking out as one’s civil liberties allows them to

3 Likes

Well I have no opinion as I don’t know what the medical community says as to the effectiveness of combining them.

5 Likes

You’re totally right! Thanks for pointing that out.

5 Likes

Ahem:

4 Likes

There’s a few studies going on right now of a J&J first and a Moderna or Pfizer second (or chaser, as I like to call it) at 30 days. From what I’ve seen, as a very amateur Internet Scientist, they’re seeing good results but nothing that anyone with real credentials is willing to sign off on yet.

It’s not a bad combo on paper - you’re priming your body for a now and future attack by using multiple different vectors. How our bodies actually respond to this is something left to people far more intelligent though.

4 Likes

As an under-educated, opinionated self proclaimed cultural critic and pseudo intellectual, I could see this social engineering project as a year of training people to grasp the rate of population growth and rapid world travel and what kind of standardized behavior we need to instill in a global population to measure up to a global village. With the mix of flesh patting and shoulder bumping with folks from around the world, it seems like having a vaccine manufactured in Germany, with slight variables to the vaccine manufactured in the US would provoke the body’s immune system, simulating a foreign body? (hair brained ideas, from my mushy illogical, overheated mind).
Would that logic only hold “truthiness” to one of the chimpanzee cold AZ vaccine, if they were manufactured in facilities around the world and not so much an mRNA.
I guess I should just read more… but this forum is a proper think tank.