New survey reveals land under Antarctica

How many people did they survey? They didn’t call me unless that was the spam risk call I declined.

4 Likes

This effect doesn’t seem to get the attention it deserves. In short, it means that ocean water currently held in place around Antarctica thru gravitational attraction by the current mass of ice (essentially ‘bulging’ above spherical sea-level) will add to sea-level rise elsewhere around the world. It’s not just the addition of meltwater from ice above sea-level, but redistribution of water mass.

7 Likes

Yeah, I read some article a few years ago talking about the expected post-glacial drop in sea level around Greenland just due to the gravitational effect, but that was really the only mainstream acknowledgement I’ve seen. Everyone always talks about “average sea level rise” as if it’ll be evenly distributed. A lot of people are going to be really shocked when the reality is that the sea level will drop at the poles and everywhere else will get that much more water as a result.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.