New trailer to Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis insists upon itself

Originally published at: New trailer to Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis insists upon itself - Boing Boing

3 Likes

utterly clueless question: Are there some cribbed aspects, admitted to or otherwise, taken from Thea von Harbou’s/Fritz Lang film Metropolis or not? That is, is Adam Driver very roughly Freder or did i just imagine it? (and if so, who plays Rotwang?)

3 Likes

Has there been any science fiction film in the last 100 years that hasn’t cribbed aspects from Metropolis?

14 Likes

I dunno - looks like it would be at the least visually interesting. I am even ok with some artsy-fartsy stuff where things are surreal and don’t make 100% sense. I will check it out eventually.

I like many of the cast members!

6 Likes

I can’t help but feel that Aubrey Plaza is in this ironically.

9 Likes

She’s Aubrey Plaza. It feels like she’s alive ironically - and yet somehow, I still like her.

17 Likes

I’d just like to point out that Jon Voight isn’t cancelled.

This looks really incredible.

4 Likes

Was gonna say, sucks to see him still getting work.

At least James Woods isn’t also in it.

8 Likes

I really don’t know what to think of this thing. Some of the shots look amazing, while others look like some amateur made them, in terms of quality and composition. Green screens and cheap CGI backgrounds. We’re not talking Dracula levels of visual flair here, much as Coppola would like us to remember that film, and not, say, Jack. This trailer does insist upon itself, I suppose, but otherwise, heavy meh.

5 Likes

FWIW, my son was an extra for a couple of days as a jury member in a courtroom scene for this film. He’s done a couple-dozen TV and movie gigs as an extra, and got his college degree in film. He said Coppola was the most hands-on director he’s ever seen, very present on-set – much more like you think a director would be – rather than hiding in the monitor booth away from the action as most do these days. He said Coppola even asked the extras (absolutely unheard-of) their opinion on some things in the scene.

I’m looking forward to seeing this “beautiful mess,” to quote Owen Gleiberman.

14 Likes

Hard to imagine this one is going to make back what it cost to make.

But then, I guess a lot of those super duper effects are cheaper than they used to be.

3 Likes

2001, but I went through a long list of, “This movie didn’t…oh wait yeah it did,” before I found a confident reply.

1 Like

I never really grasped the term, “insists upon itself,” until now. While watching the trailer I could only think, “What spectacular irrelevance this will be.” But who knows, maybe it’ll surprise me and really be the opus FFC has proclaimed it.

4 Likes

I’ve been curious to see this for decades. Even if it ends up being horrible, I won’t regret watching it.

4 Likes

I wonder if it’s going to fall into the same trap as Dracula. I thought Dracula was cinematographically incredible, a feast for the eyes. As a movie to watch for entertainment, I loathed it.

4 Likes

Yeesh. The self-aggrandizing at the beginning really is wayyyy too much.

But. It could still be an OK movie.

(For the record I think The Godfather is good but a bit over-rated.)

5 Likes

He will never make film as good as Dracula.

3 Likes

Aside from the title itself being apparent callback to Metropolis, there are shots in the trailer that suggest more than a coincidental similarity. And yeah, while Coppola may not be much of an sf expert, he certainly knows film history.

4 Likes

Especially considering that he’s personally been around for 85 years of it so far. Pretty impressive that he’s still making stuff.

It would have been funny if, among those poor reviews for some of his well-known successes, there had also been references to his earliest work. (I’m referring, of course, to classics such as Tonight for Sure and The Bellboy and the Playgirls. And who can forget his work on Battle Beyond the Sun?)

2 Likes

I’ll probably see it in the theatre. It looks like it will be visually stunning (or at least fun), even while it is pretending to be more profound than it actually is.

1 Like