Megalopolis a flopalopolis

Originally published at: Megalopolis a flopalopolis - Boing Boing

4 Likes

It was supposed to draw influences from Rand’s Audiences Shrugged; right?

21 Likes

That’s what the clip suggested for me; “what if Ayn Rand’s sociopathic Howard Roark character had magic time-stopping powers for no discernible reason?”

I guess it’s not like the studio didn’t warn us. Nobody bases an ad campaign around “the critics are going to fucking ravage this movie!” if they actually expect it to be good.

13 Likes

Hey, at least it did about 5X better than Dinesh D’Souza’s new Trump “documentary.”

11 Likes

Starved in metropolis
Hooked on necropolis
Addict of metropolis
Do the worm on the acropolis
Slamdance the cosmopolis
Enlighten the populace

Don’t see Megalopolis

11 Likes

The joy of knowing a movie like this exists is knowing that, one glorious day, I shall read Nathan Rabin’s full review and be filled with joy.

7 Likes

Personally I’m looking forward to the Ryan George Pitch Meeting video.

Update- here it is!

14 Likes

I’ve been waiting decades to see this movie. Looks like I can go a few decades more without seeing it. Oh well…

9 Likes

“particularly” The Fountainhead, but yeah… Rand (-sigh-)

[wikipedia]

The early industry screening resulted in reactions considered divisive while some were mixed, though others were primarily of general bewilderment. (Megalopolis (film) - Wikipedia) It was compared to the literary works of Ayn Rand, particularly The Fountainhead (1943), and the films Metropolis (1927) and Caligula (1979).

(ooo with a soupcon o’ Caligula too)

5 Likes

I would have gone with flopodopolis
Sesame Street Thank You GIF by Muppet Wiki

20 Likes

As long-anticipated as the movie was, the part that makes me sad isn’t that Coppola has clearly lost his ability to make a watchable film. The part that makes me sad is that Hollywood’s takeaway from this flop is going to be “AHA! We were right not to take a risk on any film that isn’t based on established IP, even when that film has an A-list cast and a legendary auteur director!”

24 Likes
17 Likes

I had high hopes for what little I have seen of this film. I will still probably watch it, maybe not in theaters. I wonder if it will still reach cult status of some type.

Lot of movies I love are not for mass consumption. Maybe this was never intended as such? but damn that’s a budget that implies it was.

6 Likes

I saw a poster for this in our theater and had the following thoughts
“is that real?”
“that’s not the sebastian stan flick?” (also playing)
“wait…there are two movies? who’s paying for this?”

and now I know the answer to all those…thanks?

3 Likes

I was interested in the film until I saw the final trailer for it. The costumes and set design looked so bad, I knew it was a turkey. I suppose I’d watch Riff Trax’s take on it.

7 Likes

Sky Captain and the World of Yesterday.

4 Likes

Except that was a fun movie and had an old Republic Serial feel to it with some really good scenes.

12 Likes

It is doomed

Regarding this film, I guess that it didn’t really “cost” anything. Coppola sold ONE of his vineyards as a going concern, a bunch of actors and crew got a job, and Coppola got this off his chest; that sounds like a win-win-win.

14 Likes

I also recommend Persepolis

14 Likes

I really enjoyed Sky Captain. Sure it didn’t make a whole lot of sense but it was a whole lot of fun and it looked great.

It didn’t think it was solving the world’s problems. And that is a much better thing for some entertainment than when it does.

I accidentally put one of the Mission Impossible films on and was surprised at how fun it was. Not dumb at all. Very well made by very good people. Just not serious. So I went to the next one in the cinema with friends (I do try to watch popular films and not just obscure art house ones) and it was shit. Long, tedious, took itself seriously, and thought it had something to teach us about international politics (primarily that it was 1904 and we should be worried about the rise of international anarchism but don’t worry about the fascists as the marketing people say they are a major audience).

13 Likes