Megalopolis a flopalopolis

But not the dubbed US version. Get it with subs.
And less Sean Penn.

6 Likes

I read a quote from Coppola where he said, “Money is overrated. Give me less money and more friends.”

So maybe he got what he was looking for . . .

12 Likes

I thought it was fine as a movie, but I was hella impressed at the time that the director Kerry Conran (who had never directed a film prior to that) was able to make the original teaser for it singlehandedly, working at home over a 4-year period with a bluescreen and an early 1990s Macintosh IIci. He was able to use that teaser to get an independent producer onboard and they managed to get financing initially without a distribution deal with any major studios. In the end it cost $70M to make, and most of that probably went to the A-list movie stars that ended up starring in it. So getting it made took some serious initiative and that was pretty inspiring to me.

Unfortunately the main lesson that the Hollywood studios seemed to take from that film was “hey, we can save some serious cash if we just shoot entire movies against bluescreens now!”

16 Likes

I would have gone with Megaflopolis.

11 Likes

I think he may have ended up with less money and fewer friends from this.

So half of what he wanted!

Seriously though, however shit this actually is, however much money was pissed away on it, it all pales into nothingness compared to the shit show of LLMs and how they burn the sky with money to produce toxic bullshit.

5 Likes

Except for the reported abusive behavior on set, I guess.

13 Likes

I’ve been reading articles about the movie here and there out of curiosity and it really seems like a vanity project in the worst of ways. I’m glad he got to make the movie he wanted to make i guess but i don’t know who this movie is for.

6 Likes

More painful than watching Stephanopoulos interview Papadopoulos.

11 Likes

Yeah it sounds like everyone is fine with the movie except for people that watched it. I’m fine with that too. I will watch it on video. Then maybe I’ll despise it too!

3 Likes

“Longtime labors of love” from Great Directors almost always end up being a mistake (see, e.g., Toys).

4 Likes

I just read the synopsis of the plot.

Wow.

It’s just terrible. A dull, ham-handed pile of Roman Republic fanfiction, which seems to have been produced by mashing together some of the worst people in that time period then re-imagining them as heroes who save the day with magic architecture skills.

This is the sort of film that could only have been produced by someone who had a huge budget, and who lacked anyone who would dare say “No” to their crazy ideas. It’s a deluded stab at glory from someone who could not be satisfied with his own existing achievements.
Ironically, this makes the production of the film a far better metaphor for the fall of the Republic than it contains, but again, that’s not hard.

12 Likes

But not a much fun as Stephanopoulos interviewing Snuffleupagus.

9 Likes
9 Likes

Don’t give Caligula a bad name. The film was alright for enough.

2 Likes

In Minneapolis!

13 Likes

Christ, that looks terrible. A good thing that has come of it though is a classic Kermodian rant so i can’t entirely hate it.

7 Likes

Phooey to the lot of you – I’m going to see it in the theater!

… if it comes here… I was so sure it would, but now I’m less sure… :confused:

7 Likes

i-think-im-going-to-be-sick

3 Likes

…and yet, this annie rand-flavored Roman fantasy garbage got made, while netfucks turned down David Lynch.

Hey ho.

5 Likes

and came up with fake “ai” generated quotes from critics;

3 Likes