Megalopolis a flopalopolis

well, as you certainly know I saw it and leave this here for whos interested and didnt saw the other thread;

thnx. very satisfying rant indeed.

3 Likes

how often

5 Likes

coppola didnt even failed as a filmmaker, the idea and screenplay were terribly, terribly bad from the start. its inherent reactionary and chauvinistic. the “normal folk” doesnt show til the end and then they just listen awestruck how the hero explains their fantastic future for them he alone made possible and only him cause he is the genius of the new and bright universe he alone made possible. while the film shows 9/11 and war hitler/mussolini clips intermixed! its just unfuckingbelivable.

4 Likes

One of the articles i had read about this movie was talking about how one would “get” the movie more if you’ve read Coppola’s autobiography beforehand. That tells me everything i need to know this is pretentious garbage.

5 Likes

ah. well, its quite obvious that cesar catilina is coppolas alter-ego. which is just fucking embarrassing.

3 Likes

I just can’t get over Coppola naming his protagonist after goddamn Catilina.

There are a ton of notable people involved in the final days of the Roman Republic, from Caesar and Pompeius to Cato and Cicero, and most of them you could present as heroes or villains with just a slight change of point of view. But Catilina?

2 Likes

history is written by the winners; catilina was a free man, who was framed and therefore forced to fight. of course for the people and for a better rome. -ahem-

or maybe coppola just didnt gave a fuck? just a “cool” name, a cesar, but not gaius julius (that would gone too far, even for him?). the “politics” are very muddy and surface-level. actually as flat and dumb as it gets. I mean, the whole movie is essentially as flat and dumb as it gets. so, no wonder here.

e/ as flat and dumb as it gets. thats the last textpanel of the film, in case you didnt get the final message (I was laughing pretty hard);

3 Likes

Yeah, Sky Captain was pretty cool. High on style even if the substance wasn’t quite there (like a lot of the pulp material it pulls from). The short film that got it made was pretty cool too!

As for Megalopolis, I still want to see it streaming someday. It might have some interesting parts. It definitely has an interesting look.

3 Likes

sort of?

the following post comparing the characterisation of the main protagonist with the roles of the man who brought us twisted pair, is in any case right on point;

I truly thought the same thing while watching it. drivers character is basically infallible and flawless. and has an unexplained superpower.

e/ haha, no shit;

pretty good and funny write, almost as gold as megalon itself.

5 Likes

Maybe if Lynch offered to pay them?

I read that Coppola even had to pay Lionsgate to distribute the movie.

8 Likes

possibly? southland tales comes to mind and some beginning to praise megalopolis as art in the spirit of fellini and such. which is…not entirely wrong I guess?

3 Likes

I don’t hate Southland Tales!

“Scientists are now predicting the future will be even more futuristic than previously predicted!”

I don’t remember it much but it didn’t have much Ayn Rand / Roman stuff did it?

Roman is quite the turn off for me. Now Etruscans…

Much better.

3 Likes

me neither, and this will always have a special place in my heart (starts 01:00);

its still not a particular good movie, nor bad one. well, the ending is cringe af.

so, I should watch it? (I did not read the synopsis)

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it.

It’s a slightly melancholy tale of rural grave robbers in 1980s Tuscany that’s dreamlike. It also has Isabella Rosselini in it as his ex’s mother in a decaying mansion.

Well quite melancholy. Poor and with people exploiting all around. A good bit of misery. And plenty of absurdity. Quite an influence of Fellini.

4 Likes

And how many men try to click that play button? :rofl:

2 Likes

ONE EARTH, INDIVISIBLE,

… he must be one o’ them “Globalists” :thinking:

3 Likes

How can it be a flop with stars like Shia Labeouf?

7 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my world would be a much better place if David Lynch could self fund at the same scale Coppola did. You don’t need Netflix when you have a vineyard you don’t mind parting with.

6 Likes

Yeah, dunno how it slipped my mind that Megalopolis was muchly self-funded.
D'oh!

2 Likes

NPR reviewer from Fresh Air encourages people to see it, though admits it’s a mess.

I do have to say box office is not inherently how films should be judged. Michael Bay’s lifetime box office is 7.8 billion, compared to Terry Gilliam’s half a billion or so. If you like Michael Bay, that’s fine, but I think a metric that say Bay is 15-16 times better than Gilliam is wacky.

6 Likes