Megalopolis a flopalopolis

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say or write that it must suck because it’s unpopular.

That said, I do think that awful suckiness can be a reason that a film is unpopular.

9 Likes

Not so much in the comment thread, but calling a movie a flop is dinging it based on box office.

4 Likes

It can also be a flop based on people’s interest in it. And i can firmly say i have zero interest in this, i wouldn’t even watch it to make fun of it.

5 Likes

That’s fair, but watching movies to make fun of them is a pastime of mine.
the screaming skull GIF

6 Likes

Same, i love me some MST3K and Rifftrax. I just find this particular movie to be particularly boring, might be worth watching with funny commentary over it but i would rather watch anything else :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I hear what you are saying but, and I remember John Malkovitch saying this in an interview a long time ago, it wasn’t always a thing to open up the news and the “numbers” for a film’s weekend were news. We didn’t always judge success or failure solely by money. James Cameron wouldn’t have felt emboldened the other week when some interviewer mentioned criticisms of the dialogue in some of his films to reply “well show me the critics too grossing films eh? I didn’t think so. What have they to say?”

Instead he might have answered that some of his dialogue is incredibly quotable and quoted “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit” and the clunky bits might be where he is doing difficult world building and taken out of context without the visuals… or some shit I don’t know. I’m never going to watch a blue alien thing whatever it is. They are an absolute flop at engaging my interest.

3 Likes

One thing about the MST3K treatment is that they often cut out large swaths of the most boring bits of the movie to keep the runtime down and to keep things interesting enough to even bother making fun of.

For example, the original running time of This Island Earth was about 90 minutes but the MST3K sendup of the movie was just 74 minutes—and that was including all the “framing device” scenes on the Satellite of Love plus the additional credits sequences.

Megalopolis is almost 140 minutes, so you’d have to leave most of it on the cutting room floor just to get it down to the length of a standard MST3K sendup.

7 Likes

Sounds like a plan.

8 Likes

Loved their take on This Island Earth. I have seen some other eps where no amount of commentary made the movie worth watching (at least for me). If they do end up making a Rifftrax commentary i might check it out but… i dunno, i might need to be high to survive :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

“I’ve seen it twice now, and both times I’ve come away dazzled by its beauty, its conviction, and its moments of brilliance”

jah, well, I was dazzled by its unsubtle broadness and not in a good way. but I laughed quite a bit, as long as I didnt cringed by the unbelivable plain but weird dialouge and sometimes extreme kitsch of what I saw on screen.

2 Likes

maybe as a closure, as this thread comes to an end, the last shot of the soon-to-be-cult-classic-for-whatever-reason-but-also-maybe-not as a memento to ayn rands genius, getting her message finaly down the throats of the pleps with the most embarrassing kitsch coppola was capable of making (its triple-blurred, just in case);

(what you dont see in this shot is the cheering volk at the feet of our heroes, in awe by the pure genius of cesar. and his purity in general.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.