New York Attorney General to Time Warner: your Internet is "abysmal" and "troubling"

[Read the post]

1 Like

It would be nice, for a change, to see the AG office actually enforce consumer protection laws and truth in advertising laws, rather than crusade against (bathroom laws/google/etc pick one).

3 Likes

Don’t bring in Big Government. Let the Invisible Hand of the Free Market do its magic by voting with your wallets, and going to one of the many other internet providers you don’t have on account Time Warner forming a virtual monopoly in your area…

Let me start over.

17 Likes

I hope, when Time Warner fails to respond adequately, there will be some real consequences—but I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Did the AG also tell them that their mothers dress them funny?

1 Like

TWC is dominant here, but Cinci Bell is much nicer to deal with.

While I am sympathetic with the judge, the reality is that Time Warner Cable does it because the US Congress, NY Public Service Commission, and the FCC all let them do it. Without a loud and persistent bottom-up cry for strong government regulation of utilities like the Internet (and you can take your claims of “information service” and shove them you-know-where), these are the services created by the regulations we both get and deserve.

2 Likes

“Shot my dwarf in the back with a crossbow”

What did I miss?

Still sounds better than AT&T, which is the ONLY option in the 3rd largest city in the country other than Comcast, which is consistently ranked in the top 2 worst companies for customer service in the country every year. We can’t win for losing around here.

We get Comcast or CenturyLink. Every review I have seen with anyone who has gone CL describes them as even worse.

1 Like

I can still remember the first time I was in an eastern Asian country playing a game on my iPad and my scores were double anything I’d gotten before. Why is the U.S. so behind most of the rest of the world when it comes to this technology? (Yeah, I know the answer: government is evil, we worship Mammon, etc.)

1 Like

Gonna go slightly OT here… (nothing to add that’s on topic, except that Wu is the man…)

Streaming is all fine I suppose, but if “primetime” peak hours are really an issue (and likely would be ongoing, even if this bullshit monopoly mess improves) wouldn’t podcast-style download whenever, watch whenever seem like the ideal solution to congestion problems? I’m imagining a situation where we program our TVs to download a weeks worth of shows, give a window for downloading, and then ISPs and/or media providers like Netflix could sort out load balancing among their customers across those off-peak hours? We downloaded a bunch of stuff to our tablet on Amazon Prime before my wife went into labor, but I don’t know how widespread this is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.