New York City appoints first-ever 'rat czar'

Originally published at: New York City appoints first-ever 'rat czar' | Boing Boing

1 Like

Kathy has the knowledge, drive, experience, and energy to send rats packing

Two Men Rats and a Truck

10 Likes

“and what is it you do, dear?”
“oh, i am the Rat Czar™.”
“quite…” [walks away]

11 Likes

With no disrespect meant to Ms. Corradi (congrats on the new gig!), I just assumed that “rat czar” was an honorary title given to Rudy Giuliani in perpetuity.

22 Likes

Well, damn! They didn’t even have the courtesy to send me a rejection email!

17 Likes

“Rat Czar” would make a good alternate title of nobility for the antagonist in The Nutcracker.

15 Likes

Does this job post also include controlling the GOP in NYC?

4 Likes

no, that’s Staten Island.

8 Likes

Tax the rat farms.

12 Likes

I’d have to dig up the book to get the details right, but in the 60s my dad was hired to shoot rats with a pellet air rifle at a dump near Staton Island. Lucky he didn’t get the plague or something!

4 Likes

Tangential but I find these videos educational and wonderfully entertaining.

8 Likes

The province of Alberta has “The Rat Patrol”, and they keep Alberta pretty much rat free. An entire huge province. Which admittedly has a climate that is not friendly to rats, but they keep them out of the citiess and town. People aren’t even allowed to keep pet rats, or bring them into the provinc.

10 Likes

Interview question: Can you pipe?

3 Likes

Hmm, Mouse Czar sounds better. If it were dogs, would it be Bow Wow Czar, or just Bow Czar? :thinking:

4 Likes

I prefer “rats tsar”.

9 Likes

Invaluable.

3 Likes

They’re not a real rat?

7zitxq6

7 Likes

Hopefully NYC remembers to pay their Rat Czar. You’d hate to have a Pied Piper situation on your hands.

9 Likes

Years ago I lived in Auckland NZ, a city with both east and west-coast ports. A group in the city was agitating for cat registration, similar to dog registration. A biologist friend just laughed when she heard this. “Ever since the Black Plague, no port city in the world is going to try to regulate its cat population.”

I assume NYC and the Burroughs don’t register cats?

6 Likes

I’m lucky enough to own an autographed copy of Rat Catching by Crispin Hellion Glover (yes, that guy).

3 Likes