New York City's new rideshare regs put Big Brother in backseat, give GPS tracking a whole new meaning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/11/new-york-citys-new-rideshare.html

1 Like

Can we please stop calling them “rideshare” companies? There’s no sharing going on here (other than your data). They’re ride hailing services.

Unless I’m misreading it, I’m pretty sure this is for tracking drivers between rides, and not for tracking passengers at all. The link in the article doesn’t work, but from Google’s cached version:

Section 24. Section 59B-19 of Title 35 of the Rules of the City of New York is amended by adding a new subdivision (d), to read as follows:

(d) Special Requirements for Bases Subject to Minimum Driver Payment Requirements

(1) In addition to collecting and transmitting records pursuant to subdivision (a) of this section, a Base Owner subject to Section 59B-24(a) of these rules must collect and transmit to the Commission, in a format, layout, procedure, and frequency prescribed by the Commission, the following information for each time a Driver is available to accept dispatches from the Base:

(i) The Driver’s TLC Driver License number
(ii) The date and time at which the Driver became available to accept dispatches from the Base
(iii) The Vehicle License number of the Vehicle the Driver is driving while the Driver is available to accept dispatches from the Bas
(iv) The geographic position of the Vehicle the Driver is driving during the entire time the Driver is available to accept dispatches from the Base at an interval no less frequent than every sixty (60) seconds
(v) Total miles driven while the Driver was available to accept dispatches from the Base.
(vi) Total miles driven with a Passenger while the Driver was available to accept dispatches from the Base.
(vii) The date and time at which the Driver became unavailable to accept dispatches from the Base

This actually seems like a good idea, as it will help track FH vehicles are roaming around looking for fares.

Yeah, only private companies should be trusted with this kind of data.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.