New York cop had tow truck driver arrested for legally repossessing his car

Wasnt disagreeing. Questioning if I got the phrase correct. Curse my haste.

1 Like

Some animals are more special.

2 Likes

FB_IMG_1456700716568

4 Likes

In my personal experience it is more realistically, “some good apples” precicely because of your point.

1 Like

But if I give them money, I get a nifty little badge I can stick next to my license plate and avoid certain tickets!

1 Like

Yes. I would like an update or at least a link to an update. Thank you.

1 Like

OTOH things like gambling, drugs, and prostitution shouldn’t be illegal to begin with and forcing them underground means no courts to settle disputes.

My nephew’s wedding reception in NYC a few years ago: Seated at our table was one of my mother’s younger friends who showed us a laminated ID, a miniature of one that might be carried by an NYPD official. It ‘proved’ some affiliation (however tenuous) with the NYPD. She told us these IDs are given out to relatives and worthy friends of police officers; get out of jail free cards. The NYPD have their own rules.

3 Likes

Being dragged through the legal system and spit out at the end without further punishment is not a “happy ending” for the tow truck driver.

Seeing the police officers who were involved in this sent to jail for decades and made felons? That would have been justice, but I’d still hesitate to call it a “happy ending”.

Police officers need to pay for their crimes. I am beginning to think that we need a prison especially for cops. Although I don’t know, they may end up killing each other and raping each other as fast as other inmates would.

4 Likes

I think the last thing we need is a prison just for cops. They would get cushy treatment almost certainly. Let them be in general population. If that is too risky, then our jails are too risky and need systematic reform, rather than special protection for people who violate the public trust.

6 Likes

The system breeds the cops we have, so better oversight is not the answer, a better system is. Change the system, and we’ll have better cops.

2 Likes

I keep hearing people complaining that cops can’t do any time because it would be a death sentence. While my feelings are “Should have thought of that before you did the crime”, if putting cops in a cushy prison gets them off the streets after doing this kind of crap or straight up murdering people instead of worst case scenario getting fired and having to take a job next city over…

Can confirm that this is a thing. They come from the Patrolman’s Benevolent Association and the numbers given out were recently slashed because cops were selling them on eBay

4 Likes

Fify…

So the problem takes care of itself if you actually prosecute them?

3 Likes

Staten Island is so cop-tilted, they (illegally, mind you) paint blue lines between the double yellow lines on some streets, to emphasize how much Blue Lives Matters.

And these cops don’t care about this particular repossessed car so much as the chilling effect: no tow trucks will be repossessing a cop’s car anytime soon.

1 Like

“The PBA and the NYPD declined comment.”

Of course. What could they say… especially to the rank and file? “Sorry, but we can only help relatives and friends escape due justice… and accepting $$$ for the cards could be interpreted as bribery.”

You hear that also from municipal judges and city attorneys. How else to make sure that cops dutifully patrol their neighborhoods and show up in a timely manner when needed?

1 Like

Police are a necessary part of a civilized society

Hard no from me. The system of policing we have is a modern invention with deep roots in White supremacy and capitalism. Police are violent occupying forces in the segregated Black and Brown neighborhoods where they disproportionately spend their time. The maintenance of “law & order” through violence is incompatible with civil society.

Abolitionists are currently doing the hard work of planning and building worlds without police or prisons, because these disrupt and endanger communities. Many Black US neighborhoods have developed networks of mutual care & support despite the violence of the state (via police forces, in part) and not because of it.

WTF?
How this kind of thing really exist?

Are they just a card or do they also have some information about the cop who originally received?
Maybe we could start producing our own and distributing it to everyone.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.