New York fashion school apologizes for racist catwalk face mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/19/new-york-fashion-school-apolog.html

6 Likes

This shit is not hard…

shoot-me-quark

Then someone should have informed them of how and why it’s racist prior to this show in order to not have racist shit in your show…

33 Likes

Tough to think of an instance where a male in a position of power saying this to a woman working under them shouldn’t be a fucking capital offense at this point…

25 Likes

Bullshit. Perhaps he was unaware he’d get called out on it.

14 Likes

I don’t buy it. You can’t be in this country more than 10 minutes and not be aware that racism is an issue. And you can’t be a human being in any country without realizing that racism is an issue in all countries, even if you’re “from China”. Anyone heard of Uyghurs? To claim that you were unaware that caricaturing facial features on real people might be racist, is not credible.

9 Likes

To me it looks more like a horrific blowup doll.

2 Likes

This is what the “accessories” looked like on a white model:

1 Like

Nope, obviously nothing wrong with that.

Move along, folks.

Yeah, cause there’s no anti-Black racism in China. /s
:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

I think that’s exactly it. Blatant racist stereotypes simply go unremarked, much of the time, in Chinese media (from what I can see externally, mind you; I don’t live there and I’m not ethnically Chinese). I think he didn’t realize it would be a big deal.

1 Like

One shouldn’t expect a college for this area to be familiar with the several high profile racist shows and ads coming from high end fashion industry brands - or to understand the meaning and history of a very important and problematic iconography.

It’s not like they’re artists or anything- they just sell rags at Sears.

Assholery 101.

11 Likes

giant red lips and black plastic ears

Holy shit, I thought those were Princess Leia buns until I read that.

7 Likes

So, does “fashion” in the professional, “fashion show” sense have any relation to clothing at all at this point? Because racism aside, what the flying fuck are they doing??

2 Likes
6 Likes

Depends on the show. Is it haute couture? Ready to wear? Fashion is art, even jeans and a t-shirt make a statement.

1 Like

Similar thing happened with the game Chuchel

NO! (2)

5 Likes

Props to the model of African descent who refused to wear that bullshit and left after she walked the runway.

15 Likes

Even if that’s true, which I’m skeptical of, once the designer was informed the mask was racist, the ethical response was to not go through with having the models wear it. The fact that Junkai Huang still went through with it anyway demonstrates that awareness that his design was blatantly racist had no bearing on his decision to showcase it. He manifestly didn’t give a shit about its flagrant racism until he thought he might suffer social and professional repercussions for it.

7 Likes

Nothing about that sentence implies that the person saying it was male. She was told by “staff”. Not that it wouldn’t be equally unacceptable in this situation if it was a woman saying it.