New York Mayor Eric Adams gives bizarre answer to a simple question

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/12/19/ny-mayors-bizarre-answer.html

1 Like

So best case scenario is “capitalism!” and worst case is “thousands killed in terror attack”?

Not a very encouraging sales pitch for your city there, Eric.

20 Likes

I guess he felt the need to confirm that he’s an embarrassment as mayor.

12 Likes

That’s not one word, either. New York is two words. But also, what a really dumb fucking question. Really? You have the mayor of one of the largest and most consequential cities on the planet on your show, and you ask him a shitty question from How to Conduct Job Interviews for Dummies? Both of the men in front of that camera should be fired from their respective jobs.

15 Likes

WTF?!

10 Likes

He makes me want to deny the truth of my having been born and brought up there. Yet another one of Adams’ accomplishments.

8 Likes

Love to live in a city where planes fly into buildings. Love, love, love it!

3 Likes

Oof! He could have just said “NY is what has mattered to me most this year” but instead… He fumbled. Weird question. Weird answer.

7 Likes

What an absolute clod this guy is. Add to that the corruption and ineptitude and I am actually missing BdB, something I didn’t think was possible.

1 Like

Oh, have we reached the point where the September 11 attacks have become a cool and fun part of the New York experience? Because if so, there is an exciting new business opportunity selling NY: Never Forget branded shotglasses to tourists. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

6 Likes

“This is a place where every day you wake up, you could experience everything…”

(Brain): “Don’t reference 9/11. Don’t reference 9/11. Mention literally anything else about the city.”

“… from a plane crashing into our trade center…”

(Brain): “God damn it! What did I just say!? WHAT DID I JUST SAY!??”

3 Likes

I suppose he could have just said “Nawk.” Yeah, it might still raise a followup question, but it probably would have worked as a distraction.

5 Likes

Followup answer:
tenor-3099409407
Maybe he just expects difficult questions about scandal or general derision at this point, and is completely thrown by softball questions.

5 Likes

So just shrieking like a giant bird whenever he doesn’t have a scripted answer? I’ll have to admit, it’s not that bad as modern politicians go.

5 Likes

There was a Dutch comedian a few years ago who pointed out that, even as a politician, you don’t have to answer a question immediately; you can take a few seconds to think. Seems like that would’ve been good advice here.

5 Likes

This is New York. That ain’t no giant boid.

Qfilmposter

1 Like

When you put it that way, I suddenly find him relatable… :thinking:

3 Likes

You can get a “I :airplane:NY” t-shirt as of 2002. That was apparently soon enough.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.