NYC mayor Eric Adams: "Pray for me to land the plane, cause there’s no parachutes on this plane, we’re all going down together."

Originally published at: NYC mayor Eric Adams: "Pray for me to land the plane, cause there’s no parachutes on this plane, we’re all going down together." - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Feels Good Smoking GIF by Sacramento Kings

13 Likes

Portraying your constituents as terrified victims at your mercy…

19 Likes

episode 1 halloween GIF

19 Likes

Context helps but geez. This guy needs to talk to some speech writers and PR folks about how to better get his intent across. It sucks when people actively want leadership to fail even if it hurts them, and the media is not doing him any favors… But this is a terrible analogy.

Merry Christmas bbs, btw!

18 Likes

Curious how out of all our most high profile professions the executive political office seems to have the least connection with a specific college-level degree. Sure, many of them are lawyers, but being an accountant plus sociology-ethicist would seem to be a better ‘certification’ for candidacy. There’s some hint in that ‘veteran’ military leaders have actually made pretty good mayors/governors ((sorry for the random blathers… already into the second glass of glühwein :wine_glass: cheers!))

11 Likes

I think this particular mayor is a former cop.

I’ve often wondered the same thing, why we don’t see more pragmatic and focused backgrounds in these roles. Maybe because people like that aren’t drawn to the vainglory of politics? Maybe because voters are afraid of actual expertise? You’d think, like, civil engineers would be in the mix more often but they rarely are.

8 Likes

This seems like a “what do you mean ‘we’?” situation.

11 Likes

Grady 2024!

Better infrastructure, and lots of models in the Whitehouse garage!

7 Likes

Like “Flight of the Phoenix”, now we find out he’s only ever governed his models of cities.

7 Likes

Fortunately, in this particular metaphor, we can open the emergency exit and hurl the pilot into the sea after a certain number of years.

Perhaps even sooner than that, if the FBI turns up convincing evidence that the pilot has been supplementing his salary with little gifts from friends and admirers abroad.

8 Likes

Sounds like he took a bird-strike and is headed for the Hudson.

Captain Sully for mayor!

5 Likes

In September 2016, a pseudonymous author wrote " The Flight 93 Election" for the Claremont Review of Books.

2016 is the Flight 93 election: charge the cockpit or you die. You may die anyway. You—or the leader of your party—may make it into the cockpit and not know how to fly or land the plane. There are no guarantees.
Except one: if you don’t try, death is certain. To compound the metaphor: a Hillary Clinton presidency is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. With Trump, at least you can spin the cylinder and take your chances.

so the plane analogy puts me off.

3 Likes

Is he trying to quote Laurie Anderson?

3 Likes

Form that rightwing Claremont Institute, perhaps?

I wouldn’t stop with just their take on anything.

6 Likes

Yes. It’s not just a right wing institution making a case for Trump. It’s a right wing institution making a case for existential terror of the opposition.

4 Likes

ah yes. russian roulette. the well known game where you spin a plane, and point it at the… voting booth? nope, i’m confused.

glad this writer isn’t a pilot… no wait, a mayor. im glad this writer isn’t piloting a russian mayor. yes, i think i’ve got it now

9 Likes

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Michael%20Anton

What a shitty gun metaphor! Somehow, going from Clinton to Trump, the gun transforms from semi-auto to a revolver.

6 Likes

especially when it was ■■■■■ being supported by ( and likely colluding with ) the russian government

6 Likes

9 Likes