New York state sues Trump admin for Global Entry ban against NYers

There’s the thing right there. The vast majority of Trumpists in NY’s red districts don’t know what the fuck Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check is. And even if they do they don’t use it. But NYC’s vast supply of big money donors? Love that shit.

That goes the other way. Trump owes everyone money and they all sue him to try and get paid.

As implemented the Real ID law is less about a national ID card that it is about restricting immigration and removing rights from immigrants. It was passed in 2005 and there’s been enough push-back that that it’s been delayed repeatedly, with the GOP taking the opportunity to load it up with even more restrictions on immigrants.

The ID thing is a fig leaf basically. Even then there are questions about whether the constitution blocks the federal government from issuing a national ID card. And how various uses for a federal ID card (including intended ones in Real ID) conflict with constitutional rights.

5 Likes

why should there not be a national ID card?

For me its the distinction between:

The nation owns the citizens

and

The citizens own the nation

In the former case, then of course the nation would want to keep track of its assets.

Australian here, we have been through this.

4 Likes

I for one think that there is a crucial distinction to be made here, which is that any immigrant with proper status achieved through legal means should not have too much difficulty getting a real ID card, while someone who is here without correct immigration status would find it more problematic. Because yes, no person is illegal, but people do illegal things all the time.

I would much rather we went after people who employ and exploit undocumented persons, but as That’s going to be more than a little bit difficult, I have no objection to making sure the tax paying American citizens get a better level of service than non-tax paying non-citizens. Per David Frum, if liberals don’t enforce immigration law, then fascists will. I think we can make much better laws than fascists, without necessarily going directly to open borders.

Oh, come on. Just because I have a library card does not mean the library owns me. IF I have a national ID card as part and parcel of my rights and obligations as a citizen, I have no problem with that whatsoever. I am less concerned about the imposition on my hypothetical freedom that a national ID card would make then I am interested in altering the landscape of laws in America to protect it for those who are already citizens or who are already immigrating lawfully.

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS: Don’t fuck with New York.

tumblr_711a682946ae5086720e7437ee97115d_4b1f3c4c_640

9 Likes

I would say the crucial thing is the actual law that’s about to go into effect and that it does exactly the opposite of that sort of thing.

It’s not a question of national ID cards. Or what the preference would be, or what might or might not be done with it. There is a law and it is happening and it is designed to disenfranchise immigrants legal or not, and restrict immigration legal or not.

We’ve also been explicitly and repeatedly told since Bush II Electric Bugaloo passed it that it’s intended to be, and will be used in ways that violate citizen’s constitutional rights.

2 Likes

We’ve had discussions about this previously, and this sums up why we will never see eye to eye on anything related to this topic. I will always maintain that pulling up short of absolute draconian enforcement helps protect everyone’s rights.

A national id card is the sort of violation that is hard to point to and say “that’s the bad result of this”. Rather it’s the boiled lobster situation, where you wake up one day and seem surprised that every “common sense, this doesn’t bother me” regulation eventually added up to a panopticon in which we have to ask permission to live life.

And it’s cultural, obviously you disagree but the vibe I always had growing up was that our national identity was specifically rooted in opposition to the idea that the government should always know who you are, where you are, and what you’re up to. None of their business. Not even any of their business if you’re committing a crime; it’s only their business if you commit a crime and they have probably cause to investigate you.

I’m told 9/11 changed everything, but some of us old geezers remember that things have always pretty much been the same, it’s just the manner in which we wet our pants that changes.

Every time we create more tools for the gov’t to do this stuff we are empowering the next cop, or Trump, to abuse their power. Without TSA post-9/11 bullshit, we wouldn’t have trusted traveller programs, and Trump wouldn’t have this cudgel to wield.

8 Likes

I am less concerned about the imposition on my hypothetical freedom that a national ID card

I admire your faith in a bureaucracy to be faultless and not screw over citizens along with non-citizens, but I can’t muster the optimism to share such feelings.

The stakes are even higher if you have a medical condition: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/08/jimmy-aldaoud-iraq-deported-diabetic-detroit/

9 Likes

Nuff said.

11 Likes

“as they are all dead”

Fucking hell the person that put up the stop sign at the end of my street died 11 years ago. Does this invalidate a decade worth of my california stops ?

1 Like

It was a coarse, crass attempt to make a joke about Originalism’s limits* in our time.

*Or, rather, my crass, coarse opinion of it

Surely no more difficult than going after the actual undocumented persons. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

How is it that “states’ rights” is such a talking point for GOP asshats until it’s actually about states’ rights… then it’s all “big government” (wait… aren’t they supposed to be against “big government”?)

3 Likes

Now I really want a Don’t Fuck With New York bumper sticker, in the Don’t Mess With Texas font. Probably look nice next to a Don’t Trifle With Rhode Island, Don’t Nettle Oregon, Avoid Hassling Colorado, Leave Iowa Alone, etc.

1 Like

I have a passport card. It’s great since it just has my name and bday (no address) but fits in my wallet

Because “state rights” has always been a fib.

Slave states leading up to the civil war were very concerned about states rights. Chiefly a state’s right to unilaterally impose it’s own laws on every other state, and compel enforcement.

3 Likes

That’s a slippery slope fallacy if I’ve ever seen one.

1 Like

Surprised it took so long to receive a response like this.

I acknowledge that the first picture does not inevitably lead to the second, but, especially considering the current climate in the US, I think we must keep in mind how much easier the first makes the second.

It seemed a time for a simple direct statement.

2 Likes

Direct, but wrong.

If a national ID card is fascism, what does that make a passport?

Your hyperbole is not tribute to or regard for millions dead, but an insult.

1 Like

Your opinion has been noted.

4 Likes