New Zealand couple grows a potato of record-breaking proportions

Originally published at: New Zealand couple grows a potato of record-breaking proportions | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Nice coprolite!

(Whisper whisper whisper.)

A potato?!

I uh- seem to have misspoke.

Nice potato!

4 Likes

New Zealand is the only nation in the world where making distilled spirits is fully legal to do at home.

1 Like

What about the P.O.U.S.'s?
Potatoes Of Unusual Size? I don’t think they exist.

2 Likes

Ontario did a large potato named Doug first.

4 Likes

Me, sleeping.

1 Like

Hippotatomus.

2 Likes

The Potato of Willendorf.

Something else to give the Southern Hemisphere feelings of inferiority. GO, Northern Hemisphere, GO! :wink:

1 Like

Western country, you mean? And, “without restriction?” It’s legal in some countries with a license that’s not hard to obtain.

Spudzilla

2 Likes

Agreed. There are dozens of nations where a form or a permit or a bribe will allow one to do home distilling without fear of a legal a ‘Sword of Damocles’ to worry about. Also many people live in places where there is little or no Laws.

What makes NZ so neato is home distillation being a Right. The law upholds the home distillation and possession of the equipment to do it so rather than cobbling together parts to make a likely dangerous still they can go to a shop and just legally buy a real nice effective safe still and then get pulled over on the drive home for a bad tail light and the police just give you a fix it ticket and might compliment your gear. Because of this NZ now have many extremely professional shops who offer guidance and quality equipment to anyone who walks in the door.

It’s such a fire hazard and so many people who have an ethenol vapor problem are so wasted they can’t think straight enough to shut it all down and fix things before everything explodes.

2 Likes

oof, I wasn’t expecting so much…topography before I looked at the photo. It instantly reminded me of the 400lb tumor medical reality special my sister in law used to watch over and over about 15 years ago.

For Science!

1 Like

Again, I wonder if it’s just NZ. A quick search seems to indicate that home distillation is legal in Cameroon, for example. Every site I’ve seen that says “only New Zealand” comes without footnotes. Probably because there are so many countries.

Now if, it’s an enumerated right, as in “Every New Zealander has the right to distill alcohol,” that is certainly interesting. Rights are far more weighty than laws, of course.

2 Likes

@DoctorDuck
My first thought was a hippo in a fetal position… probably after having having it’s skin peeled and being tasted by a Kiwi farmer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.