New Jersey governor signs bill to legalize pot

Originally published at: New Jersey governor signs bill to legalize pot | Boing Boing

13 Likes

As a resident of New Jersey, all I can add is that this is long overdue and warmly welcomed. Seems like a lot of good news today…

21 Likes

I’m too high for the header image.

13 Likes

Whomever picked the header image (wrong article) was too high.

6 Likes

I think the boing boing crew are feeling the strain.

30 Likes

I wondered WTF that was. Thought it must have been related to the UFO story.

5 Likes

It is sufficiently anonymous that it could be used as an illustration for pretty much any story.

13 Likes

Looks like New Jersey is back on the list of cool places to visit.

tenor-4

19 Likes

do you know if there is any provision for personal cultivation? haven’t anything mentioning that anywhere. if this is indeed to serve as a “national model” I darn sure hope it allows for people to grow their own…

6 Likes

From what I understand, the ease of growing your own was one of the reasons it got banned in the first place. You couldn’t charge tax on stuff that wasn’t industrialized, so we got stuck with tobacco and alcohol.

7 Likes

Because you can’t grow tobacco?

3 Likes

You can grow your own in Oregon, and people do, but there are restrictions (can’t be out in the open, limit to the number of plants, etc.)

Growing your own hasn’t hurt any of the dispensaries in our area. Literally none of them are going out of business. Zero impact. Realistically, New Jersey should allow people to grow their own. Most won’t after the thrill has worn off. It’s honestly faster and easier to just go buy it.

15 Likes

yep. I know the backstory. However there are 18 states right now that allow personal cultivation, and the terrible people at MedMen have been lobbying hard to prevent it from being allowed in states like NY that haven’t legalized yet. I read that the first proposals for NJ back in December were going to leave personal cultivation out, but then more recently saw that it was going to be allowed… and no mention in today’s news dumps. Hence my question.

These are the states that allow it:

1. Alaska
  2. Arizona
  3. California
  4. Colorado
  5. Hawaii
  6. Maine
  7. Massachusetts
  8. Michigan
  9. Missouri
  10. Montana
  11. Nevada
  12. New Mexico
  13. Oklahoma
  14. Oregon
  15. Rhode Island
  16. Vermont
  17. Washington
  18. Washington, D.C.
6 Likes

So, no universal drug bill? Where’s Don Jr. gonna get his yayo, yo?

9 Likes

This is quite true. I also don’t want to go back to the days of wondering how strong this homemade edible will be. Sometimes a surprise “whoa” is fun, but Surprise-Not-Feeling-Anything and Surprise-OVERDOSE! are really not.

5 Likes

Yes it is faster and easier to go buy it. It’s faster and easier to go buy pizza too, and I do all the time, but I’m the kind of person who also likes to make it at home. And frankly I have gotten really good at it.

I grew weed in college and really enjoyed it, would really love to be able to do it again, legally this time.

8 Likes

I’m cultivating right now.

14 Likes

D’bag JR. is the international / intergalactic spokesperson for cocaine moderation. I have it on good authority :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I agree that you should be able to. Like I said, there are some moderate restrictions in Oregon. You’re limited to four plants for “at home” growing, they must be indoors or behind a six-foot fence that is not see-through, no outdoor growing within city limits, and so on. If you grow it at home for your own use, you’re not to sell any extra that you produce. The idea is generally that, if you’d like to grow weed for your own purposes, you can probably do it in a closet or spare bedroom, like you’ve been doing, and no one’s going to bust you for it.

I don’t think I articulated myself clearly here. The ability to grow at home should be allowed, because it won’t interfere with the taxable product. Your ability to make pizza at home for yourself isn’t putting any pizza places out of business. Your ability to grow weed at home for yourself won’t put any dispensaries out of business. It makes no sense to allow the product in the state, but prohibit the ability to grow it for your own use.

5 Likes

It’s easier and faster to just go buy it

Amen to that. I very briefly flirted with the idea of setting up a couple of plants in a closet, just to see what it was like, and I started in doing the research. There ARE places that can set you up a nearly totally automated set up. You plant the plants, set up the irrigation, set up the lights, turn on the timers, and that’s it. But then there’s harvesting, drying, curing, all of which can DRASTICALLY affect both the potency and flavor of the product. These post harvest steps, if I’m remembering right, might even be MORE critical to the final product. And such a setup isn’t cheap. Assuming one is only doing it for personal consumption, you’ll need to be a fairly heavy user to make the investment in such a setup pay off.

And at the end of all of that, you’re still left with burning plant matter, which still tastes like crap no matter what exotic strain you have. Refining further into CO2 extracted oil for vape cartridges requires VERY expensive lab setups. When BHO first hit the scene, people were blowing up their garages with butane trying to make their own.

I welcome the wonderful new world where I can go to the weed store and buy some like a person in a society.

5 Likes