News media sues over Louisiana law making it a crime to be within 25 feet of a cop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/03/news-media-sues-over-louisiana-law-making-it-a-crime-to-be-within-25-feet-of-a-cop.html

11 Likes

All power to their elbows!

10 Likes

Next-up: any sort of magnifying (“commonly referred to as ‘telephoto’”) lens are illegal within 100 feet of a cop. (“ey! we’re h’exective branch! where’s our immunityimpunity!?”)

15 Likes

Don’t worry, the current SCOTUS will find this law constitutional.

15 Likes

Oh, don’t go with some specific standard that risks being rendered obsolete by superior lenses.

Just handle it thoroughly and treat any conduct injurious to a cop’s self or public image as another subtype of assault on a police officer…

5 Likes

Obviously John Adams’ defense work in the aftermath of the Boston Massacre shows that the original intent of the founding fathers to back the blue was so strong that they upheld it even when it was red.

Don’t miss my stand-up act at the next federalist society gathering!

12 Likes

Given the number of videos I see of cops who have no problems with bystanders until they realize they’re quietly filming, at which point the cops need to come over, get in their faces and yell at them about being too close (before arresting them)… yeah, they don’t currently much care what the law says, and they’ll absolutely go after people 25 or more feet away. Especially in Louisiana where the cops have a (recent) history of being, to put it politely, murderous criminals.

12 Likes

I gotta say, seeing Derek Chauvin’s SMUG ASS face on this article got me a little excited about the day I’m going to hear that he got his ass murdered in prison. Talk about a “Happily Ever After…”

1 Like

For added context, state police have been barred from New Orleans most of my life. This year they returned with a special unit that has done nothing but arrest people for driving or walking while black. Now that harassment can’t be documented legally

Confused by the “recent” parenthetical. That ain’t just recently

12 Likes

No, but it’s not “all in the past” either.

8 Likes

New police slogan for by-standers, “See something; say nothing!”

4 Likes

Trump has already promised immunity for police.

10 Likes

“You did nothing wrong. You have nothing to hide…” /S
Oops, wrong target.

8 Likes

Having to be 25 feet from another cop is going to make it awkward for two cops trying to ride in the same squad car.

11 Likes

This will surely make even the most innocent of interactions impossible.

“Sir, would you mind…”
“No, get away.” Backs up two steps.
“No, sir, we just want to…”
“Don’t come any closer. I know my rights.” Backs up two steps.
“Sir, really, we just…”
“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you from here.”
“But…”
“I’m not allowed any closer to you guys, you know that.”

You know the next step.

Draws gun.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.