Newspaper challenged over "deceptive" photo of high school player taunting crowd

Yeah, he had his middle finger out from when his hand was above his head until he lowered it to his waist. That was not unintentional just try to do the same motion.

Personally, I’m fine with him flipping off a crowd, especially with his talent.

1 Like

Perception is reality.
People cling to what they believe, and in the face of evidence that totally shatters that belief will cling tighter to it.
There are going to be many people who read the paper and will go on and on about how dare this boy do that. (read into that exactly the subtext that was implied.)

A fleeting gesture turned into something more, because we need to hate someone.
This presses a bunch of stereotype buttons and will be repeated over and over.
I’d demand a retraction from the paper and that the “reporter” have to donate to a charity that educates people about this sort of thing.
It won’t make it go away, but it might make the reporter think twice before making a story up out of nothing.
A retraction on page 24 in 3pt font will not set this right, punishing outlandish behavior that violates what the job of a reporter is supposed to be might be a start.

1 Like

If this is the worst thing a high school athlete does, then I call that a victory…

The editor(s), too. They let it slip or encouraged it. They are equally at fault.

I’ve said for a while now that mandating retractions are printed on the front page with 72-pt type saying ‘We Were Wrong’ would go a long way to getting some fucking probity back into journalism.

That’s still open to abuse

Say the Sun ran ‘Miliband Shags Sheep’ on page one, then has a minor article about a celebrity wearing a red dress, when they were wearing a black one.

The Sun could do their ‘We Were Wrong’ article focusing on the celebrity and bury the apology to Ed Miliband in the same article.

I would suggest that all retractions are printed on the same page as the article in question, at the same point sizes as the original article. If you split the article over two or more pages then the apology appears on those pages too. If you tell someone about the article on the front cover then an apology with a page number to the full article is put in the same place.

1 Like

True, but if I had the power to make newspapers do that, I’d clearly also have the power to order a drone strike on Murdoch, which I’d have done first :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.