Which photos of Alton Sterling did the media use?

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

The poorly-framed and dehumanized photo that directly appeals to Fox’s racist consumer base’s biases!

32 Likes

Bingo!

2 Likes

I thought it was the one with the red shirt. Because police are enraged by the color, which is why matadors are often their #1 victims.

6 Likes

Many of these things is not like the other and it’s: objectivity!

6 Likes

I just can’t with this shit.

15 Likes

It doesn’t matter which photo FoxNews uses. They all look the same to its audience.

29 Likes

Sad, but likely.

9 Likes

At a Dutch news site nu.nl this was mentioned.
I could not handle the last alinea.
"Het is niet voor de eerste keer dat er wordt geprotesteerd. Het doodschieten van Afro-Amerikaanse verdachten heeft in de Verenigde Staten in de afgelopen maanden herhaaldelijk geleid tot grote betogingen en onlusten."
Roughly translated it says something like this:
“It’s not the first time demonstrations occur. The shooting of Afro-American suspects has have led, for the past months, to big demonstrations and riots.”

I spent some time to send an e-mail to the ‘complaint’ address of that site. If the journalist in question was aware of the fact that ‘missing’ some information or not giving it to the readers, conscious or unconscious, both bad, makes a total different alinea. And a journalist should be aware of biases.
So, that adding something in the line of ‘excessive amount of’ or something alike would make a whole different sentence. And feel.
Got a reaction back from there redaction, they would look into it… yeah…

5 Likes

Severely beating a suspect --> baton rouge.

1 Like

They probably think he looks a lot like Obama.

1 Like

Nice passive language, too: “Police-involved shooting”

12 Likes

Don’t know. I refuse to subject myself to Fox News.

But if form holds: Either someone else’s entirely (‘The Game’ as Trayvon Martin, for example), or the most unflattering, dark picture they can find or photoshop. Let the victim-blaming commence!!

2 Likes

There was an article within the past couple of years about all the steps involved in transforming “police shot a person” to “there was a police-involved shooting.” I think it was posted here on BB but I can’t find it now.

3 Likes

So what can we do to change that?

I honestly don’t know.

If I had any viable solutions, I’d be working on them already.

1 Like

It’s such an important question. I don’t have answers either, but I feel like that would be what would really, deeply make something (anything) of this tragedy

Well, hopefully Gretchen Carlson will bankrupt Roger Ailes and FauxNews will go down as collateral damage.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Hey, I can dream.

5 Likes