NFL kicker tells young women to be homemakers — but his own mom is a scientist

Keller Butker obtained her master’s degree in medical physics from the nearby Georgia Institute of Technology in 1988 after getting a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Smith College in Northampton, Mass., in 1985.

It appears not; it also sounds like radiology rather than physics. (Plenty of physics in it, of course, but the focus is on the medical applications.)

And it looks like her research is in CT scanning, esp. regarding cancer:

https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=6602350656

9 Likes

High-achiever parent in the sciences. Son who wanted a career in something nowhere near as cerebral. Sounds like one of the recipes for parent-child conflict.

7 Likes

maybe he hates his mom? would explain a lot

7 Likes

I assume it’s like when watching more fox news is a sign of early onset dementia. A little drain bramage makes it harder to spot the scam.

1 Like

No. Again, an ideological slant is not cause by mental health issues. At all. Period.

Once again, this only lets the fascists off the hook and stigmatizes people with mental and brain health issues. :woman_shrugging: Let’s not do that. Because they WANT us to do that, so they can keep getting away with tearing away the rights and freedoms of people.

20 Likes

Buckminster.

10 Likes

I am sure, like men, different women have different things that make them happy. Different strokes for different folks. Though I’d really rather hear it from her mouth than someone who clearly has some pretty regressive views on woman.

Even if it would make some happy, few have the luxury these days.

2 Likes

We might be missing the bigger question here: Why did a relatively small liberal arts college invite a professional football player to give the commencement address (other than the fact that they’re both in Kansas)? I know that celebrity commencement addresses is definitely “a thing,” because we get to hear about the stupid things that are said during them all the time, but as far as I can tell, this is also not a big sports school, either. We had our university president–who was of course a very good speaker–do the commencement address, and I still remember what he said years later because it was inspiring and relevant for his audience, not a bunch of regressive bullshit spouted by someone famous for kicking or throwing a ball.

4 Likes

I suspect that it being a catholic college inviting the most zealously catholic local sportsball notable might have something to do with it.

Still not clear why they couldn’t have gotten someone of equal ideological acceptability and greater academic or cultural interest; but it wasn’t just a random school being all surprised pikachu when their speaker turned out to be a zesty reactionary(especially since he did basically the same thing when speaking at Georgia Tech the previous year; either someone was utterly asleep at the switch or quite deliberately seeking a specific flavor of speaker out; and my money would be on the latter, though potentially not on them admitting it now that it’s largely disapproving news even internationally).

9 Likes

Good point. I guess it still doesn’t top my biggest “WTF were you thinking” college story of the year, when Kent State–school notable for the National Guard murdering students–invited Kyle Fucking Rittenhouse–notable murderer–to speak there. (I don’t think it was Kent State “official” but some subgroup, but still…)

8 Likes

Who recruited this guy to speak at a commencement ceremony, and did they have any idea what they were signing up for?

3 Likes

Considering that Leonard fucking Leo gave their commencement address last year, I would have to conclude that this is a feature, not a bug.

11 Likes

Liberal arts college does not necessarily equal politically liberal college. As part of their culture war on reality-based education, assorted right-wingers and Libertarians and Xtianists have established or hijacked a whole network of small post-secondary schools focused on the liberal arts. Hillsdale College is a well-known example.

9 Likes

Well, then, there you have it.

4 Likes

dough2

6 Likes

“NFL kicker tells young women to be homemakers — but his own mom is a scientist“

And he’s a failed experiment?

9 Likes

Turns out the kicker who told graduating women to go back to the kitchen, Harrison Butker, was raised in affluence by his physicist mother who specializes in gamma knife surgery, went to Smith, & hyphenates her name

Actually not a lot to unpack there. Basic af, really

But…

I didn’t know what a Gamma Knife was? But it sounded UNBELIEVABLY badass & sinister & also :100: the title of a a bestselling dystopian SF YA series whose protagonist is named Soliloquy

THEN I LOOKED IT UP AND REALITY AGREES

9628ca7ce4cd881f

14 Likes

Hey, can we get some Basic Negging in our Matriculation Ceremony? That’d be great. We don’t have to get all Aquinas and panspermia our Alums to destitution 100%, but it would be just peachy to get evangelical conversion props in there. Kids lose interest about 870 AD, just get -that- speaker, okay?

Never again? You’re going back to having Cletus from the Simpsons literally in. [Sideshow Bob shivers.]

That Gamma-ray knife imagery! Just destroy the midbrain, there’s your trouble .

10 Likes

It really is amazing technology and allows treatment of lesions conventional surgery could never have addressed. But, yeah, she should never have done it and should go make some sammiches. Fucking christofascist meathead.

12 Likes

I had posted this in a different thread, but the Benedictine nuns whose order STARTED THE SCHOOL agree with you:

11 Likes