NFL kicker tells young women to be homemakers — but his own mom is a scientist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/16/nfl-kicker-tells-young-women-to-be-homemakers-but-his-own-mom-is-a-scientist.html

12 Likes

Of course, she is.

Rules for thee, but none for me (and mine.)

42 Likes

Brain damage doesn’t cause misogyny, anyway. Misogyny is not a mental health issue, it’s a serious problem underwritten by ideology that plagues ALL women’s lives. If someone who does have serious brain damage is misogynistic, THE CAUSE WAS NOT THE BRAIN DAMAGE. :woman_shrugging:

44 Likes

That looks like a young Lynda Carter. I didn’t realize the facepalm was that old.

8 Likes

That gif IS Lynda Carter.

And that expression of exasperation is timeless.

33 Likes

He gave that speech on May 11. I wonder what happened the next day, Mother’s Day?

22 Likes

How ‘Facepalm’ Became a Word | Merriam-Webster

Although the concept of the facepalm has existed for hundreds (if not thousands) of years, we do not see written evidence of the actual word until about 20 years ago.

Who knew?

18 Likes

Well. . . there’s more than one kind of “homemaker”. . . I guess technically you could say Buckmaster Buckminster Fuller was a “home maker.”

20 Likes

Semi-reboing:

7 Likes

The brain damage might be from excessive exposure to styling products. Anyone know the LD50 of hair gel?

7 Likes

It can make erratic behavior worse, not an ideology. :woman_shrugging: We really need to stop attributing bigotry to mental health issues, because it just hurts people with REAL mental illness and lets bigots off the hook. :woman_shrugging:

36 Likes

no man GIF

21 Likes

Brain damage (physical or chemical, permanent or transient) can disinhibit your urges, make it more difficult to hide antisocial tendencies, etc. So, maybe for that value of “worse?” But it does not make someone who was not an asshole into one.

30 Likes

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

Straight from a doctor’s mouth… er, keyboard!

23 Likes

She sounds impressive as hell, but I don’t believe she has a doctorate.

11 Likes

Hypocrisy: as always the hallmark of modern conservatism.

19 Likes

Law And Order Svu Nbc GIF by SVU

Ah. I see.
Kinda.

Still, no matter who our or their parents were or are, there comes a point in every… oh… callous 29-year old’s life where he’s a grown-ass man already and has to be held accountable as a grown-ass man all by himself.

And the same goes, O News Media Out There, for a certain Eric age 40, Don Jr. age 47, Ivanka age 43, etc.

23 Likes

Butker is so damn dumb.

My kid’s mom has a law degree, and after 15 years at the Dept of Labor, pivoted to SEO and marketing primarily for lawyers. She seems to be doing very well, and she’s also a devoted mom, taking her to various acting rehearsals etc. And they go to church most Sundays. You can do both - have a good career and a be a good mom.

Just like like your mom, Harrison. (I am curious if she thinks her son is an idiot for his statements, or if she is one of those “Do as I say.” type conservatives).

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

Is there any reason to believe that this is hypocrisy or inconsistency; rather than active opposition to what his mother did?

He never stated that women having careers was impossible; just that it was a satanic lie distracting them from their true purpose as breeders and domestic servants.

11 Likes