Watch: Idaho professor says women should stay out of engineering – they belong at home with kids

Originally published at: Watch: Idaho professor says women should stay out of engineering – they belong at home with kids | Boing Boing

15 Likes

dave grohl GIF

43 Likes

I bet the classes he teaches are a hoot.

9 Likes

Jesus christ, they really are crawling out of the woodwork nowadays, aren’t they?

33 Likes

“Medicated, meddlesome, and quarrelsome than they need to be” looks like he’s talking about himself.

19 Likes

Well staying at home with kids might preclude meeting gigantic regressive assholes like him… so there’s that?

11 Likes

He should move to Afghanistan and join the Taliban. He’d fit right in.

19 Likes

This gentleman would fit right in with the Taliban.

The millennial women I know who don’t want to marry or have kids aren’t making that decision because they all want to become titans of industry, but rather because the future looks bleak, due to things like the rise of right wing extremism and climate change.

24 Likes

They’re quite busy creating a Taliban right here in the States. He won’t need to move.

42 Likes

sounds like this guy fits right in at Boise State

9 Likes

You beat me to the Taliban connection. Yet I’m sure this guy would be shocked to hear someone accuse him of that kind of thinking.

3 Likes

As a woman with an engineering degree and 25+ years professional experience, I heartily invite the political science prof to go fuck himself. Likelihood of anyone else doing so diminishes by the second as this “speech” makes the internet rounds.

60 Likes

It goes without saying that this sexist a-hole is unfit to teach anything and needs to be removed from the classroom, but, in addition to the sexism, why does a political science (which isn’t actually a real field of science) professor think he’s at all qualified to determine what attributes are needed for these technical fields?

When she was in college in the ‘70s my mom had an engineering professor who explicitly told his class that women shouldn’t be engineers. She went on to earn her Civil Engineering degree even when raising four of us kids, which I always thought was damn impressive. I figured that dinosaur professors like that guy were all dead by now but unfortunately that’s apparently not the case.

Enrollment in the various engineering fields still have a ways to go but more than half of med school and law school students are women these days.

44 Likes

I always thought seeing a real life dinosaur would be like this:

Turns out it is more like this:

52 Likes

My dad was an engineering prof at a different Idaho university, and he said he had the first woman graduate student in engineering at his school… in the mid 80s, which I thought was shockingly late.

18 Likes

Women were nearly completely forced out of professional work in the 50’s. It’s taken a long time for us to rebound to pre-WWII levels.

43 Likes

Unless you are married to him, but maybe his wife agrees with him.

3 Likes

She wouldn’t be allowed not to.

29 Likes

Idaho: We Want To Be a Democray-Hating Theocracy, Not Just a Potato State

#NeverVoteRepublican - traitors, liars, and hypocrites
#TaxTheRich - they enable the RepugliKKKlanners
#TaxTheChurches - let’s end stupid forever

15 Likes

Yeah, where would the most successful global vaccine rollout of all time be if it were left up to women?

Oh, probably five years earlier?

40 Likes