NFL purportedly uses an racist algorithm to determine who gets a payment for repeated brain damage

I thought sport was wholesome and all this exercise was supposed to be good for us :thinking:

1 Like

Tbf that’s easily solved by banning heading. It’s not as central to the game as whatever American football players do to acquire their head trauma.

But it wouldn’t make sense to switch to football anyway, the logical thing would be to switch to rugby. People still get injured a lot of course but at least their heads are safe (AFAIK).

Not at all safe, even with all the recent introduction of concussion checks.

ETA
This is getting off-topic which is the racism in the NFL payout scheme.

4 Likes

My internal monologue: “Sounds a bit click-baity. Let’s see what the linked article really says…”

In an example shared with The Associated Press, one player’s raw score of 19 for “letter-number sequencing” in the processing section was adjusted using “race-norming” and became 42 for whites and 46 for Blacks.

The raw score of 15 for naming animals in the language section became a 35 for whites and 41 for Blacks. And the raw score of 51 for “block design” in the visual perception section became a 53 for whites but 60 for Blacks.

Taking the 24 scores together, either a white or Black player would have scored low enough to reach the settlement’s 1.5-level of early dementia in “processing speed.” However, in the language section, the scores would have qualified a white man for a 2.0-level, or moderate, dementia finding — but shown no impairment for Blacks.

…

what?

What?

WHAT???

How … how is this a thing? And not just a thing, but a thing that one of the biggest professional sports associations in the US is prepared to DEFEND IN COURT?

Did I timeslip? Did I wake up this morning in the 1930s?

I am lost for words.

5 Likes

Simulation isn’t faking an injury, it’s faking being the victim of a foul to get a free kick or penalty kick.

Faking an injury is of no advantage to the team, either you get taken off to the side pitch to be treated and the rest of the team play on with ten men, or you get subbed off.

(But we should get back on topic)

3 Likes

Well, the rest of America can get away with racist shit, so why not the NFL?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.