Nicaragua sprints deeper into fascism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/20/nicaragua-sprints-deeper-into.html

6 Likes

What’s sad is that Daniel Ortega is the head of the Sandinistas.

The precedent for what’s happening in Nicaragua is the Soviet crackdown on the Kronstadt Rebellion.

8 Likes

I also see the parallels with the trumpists in the US; they don’t believe anything except what their Dear Leader says, they repeat his slogans and catchphrases in lieu of discourse, wear his merch and generally act like trump is reality.
How soon before they start carrying little pictures of him, you know?

10 Likes

Free for All

10 Likes

Anyone who stays in power that long is eventually going to succumb to corruption and will do anything to stay in power. The cults of personality, the private armies, the mass imprisonment and killing of dissidents and intellectuals and scapegoats for the regime’s incompetence all inevitably follow.

6 Likes

I’m sure the US is working on it in the same way they have done in the past in the region.

3 Likes

Here is where the utter incompetence of the Trump Administration is a boon here. The inability of the State Department to act in a meaningful way means efforts in this regard will be half-assed, underdone, pointless and doomed to quick failure

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s what I’m driving at.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember when he first popped up in the news as a the young leader of FSLN so hated by Reagan, and seemed like a good guy. As @gracchus notes, power corrupts after so long.

3 Likes

I mean, the core competencies of leading a rebellion (paranoia, militarism, guerilla tactics) also don’t necessarily translate into democratic governamce. I imagine when it takes a rebellion to overthrow an entrenched government, the rebels are always paranoid about those roots growing shoots again. It’s hard to come back from collapse. A fact I hope these opportunistic Republicans are keeping mind as they play their edgelord game of chicken with fascism.

1 Like

The maximum time that should be spent as leader of a country in the modern world seems to be about ten years,. After that long people tend to start getting very paranoid and lean heavily towards authoritarianism. If you can’t think of someone who you want as your democratically elected successor then it is time to step down.

3 Likes

You might not be corrupt but other people surrounding you are, and they will encourage you to stay in power because their ability to earn depends on it.

2 Likes

This is like some alternative reality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.