Nigerian government shutters cough syrup manufacturers in an effort to stem an epidemic of codeine addiction

I’ve been on codeine cough syrup for a week now for a painful body-torquing, lung-ripping cough. The med doesn’t make me high at ALL, just softens the cough for 3 hour blocks. I couldn’t miss work because boss had death in immediate fam; we couldn’t both be out.

I have one dose left. Coughs no better, some kinda bug I suspect has settled to bronchitis which I’ve never had. Never drank so much hot tea, tried all OTC alternatives. I’ll be going back to doc tomorrow.

I dunno if he’ll prescribe more codeine but if not, suffering looms ahead. Medicines used as prescribed can make life better. Or at least livable.

2 Likes

I was told to get codeine cough syrup when I was coughing so hard I was coughing up blood (tore something in the back of my throat). They I was put on codeine/paracetamol tablets and then were starting to work when one good big cough cracked my rib. Then I was on the codeine for the cough and the pain of a cracked rib. Fun times.

4 Likes

Bristol type 1?

3 Likes

More like type 2, but made out of concrete.

2 Likes

Seriously. Extended miniseries.

1 Like

I particularly admire the “Skillfully combined with a number of other ingredients”…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My mum makes an excellent cough syrup from thyme, sugar and vodka.

1 Like

Ewwwww…

I use candy corn as cough drops. We all have different ideas of what’s repulsive.

You’ve got to use fresh thyme and get the sugar/vodka ratio just right.
It’s very effective, too. It’s also basically what you can buy at the pharmacy, except the commercial brand has a bit of root of primrose in addition to the thyme.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.