Nigerian government shutters cough syrup manufacturers in an effort to stem an epidemic of codeine addiction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/08/nigerian-government-shutters-c.html

4 Likes

wait you can still get cough syrup with codeine?

5 Likes

Anytime you have to take any opiates, you want to take senna as well. If your doctor didn’t tell you this, get a better doctor.

3 Likes

I know in Canada you can still get Codeine over the counter, but not here in the states. People always seem to bring some back when they cross the Peace bridge.

3 Likes

I had a horrible cough that would not stop last year and my doctor prescribed a codeine based cough syrup and it was the BEST cough syrup ever! Not only did it stop the coughing, which all other syrups couldn’t stop, it knocked me out for a really really good night’s sleep. I stopped coughing after two days of taking the stuff. Like completely.

Codeine cough syrup, ask for it, It works.

(Probably good you can’t get it OTC)

4 Likes

It’s kept behind the counter (you ask for it from the pharmacist rather than pick it off the shelf yourself) but you can buy it without a prescription.

Big Pharma: Blazing a trail in the ruts left by Big Tobacco.

Finally! A drug for us lazy people. I’ve always had trouble committing to black tar heroine. It’s so much work. You have to find a spoon. And a lighter. Meh. But I can drink this straight from the bottle. Oh future, when will you stop astounding me?! No, really. Please. Stop.

3 Likes

Any idea if this is just the universal human enthusiasm for cheap, accessible, ways of numbing the grim darkness of the 3rd millennium (and ones prior, if the limited archeological evidence is anything to go by) or if there is an interesting story of America’s well known cultural projection capacity bringing over a taste for purple drank along with the music it is commonly associated with?

1 Like

My doctor prescribed me a cough syrup laced, heavily, with codeine.

Sharing is caring.

5 Likes

that doc is a keeper.

6 Likes

Tylenol 2 and 3 (codeine/acetaminophen/caffeine) have been available without prescription in Ontario, but I believe some other provinces have made it prescription-only. As of last September, Health Canada was proposing to make drugs containing codeine prescription-only. I don’t know if that has happened yet.

1 Like

True. You can get it up here without a prescription. But the amount that comes in those meds is so limited that you’d have a hard time doing any damage with it. For anything of a notable doseage, you still need to head to a doctor’s office.

2 Likes

Medicine was a lot more fun in the old days
coughsyrup

8 Likes

…a lot of academic research has been started with shorter questions…

Edit: Ooooh! And it would involve lots of travel!

Unless you regard constipation as damage, because they will definitely plug you up. Typically they are prescribed after minor surgery such as wisdom tooth extractions.

One factor in the requirement to ask a pharmacist for these pills is actually the acetaminophen component. The concern is that patients might inadvertently combine these drugs with other acetaminophen medication and take an excessive amount, which will make your liver very unhappy indeed.

3 Likes

Years ago, when I weighed about 100 pounds soaking wet, I broke my collarbone so violently*, it was almost a compound fracture. The Emergency room gave me Percoset. It was worthless. I was in so much pain, I just stared at the clock until I was passed the deadline for the next pill and switched to acetaminophen. It was before anyone was talking about liver damage. I slept for the first time in a day-and-half. I thought maybe the Percoset was stolen by a junkie pharmacist and replaced with sugar pills, but…I didn’t poop for three days. Three days, or about seven poops. It was worthless (for me) as a painkiller, but it was one helluva cork.

*I lived in a city with a lot of telescopes. During a new moon, all the streetlights would get turned off. Running with someone else’s BLACK lab, a 25-foot leash, and a pitch-black night. The damned dog played Crack The Whip with me and I landed very hard. The dog’s name was ‘Trouble’.

4 Likes

Better off starting with an osmotic laxative like polyethylene glycol 3350 (aka Miralax here in the States). Senna is a stimulant laxative, has known adverse side effects with extended use, and is not recommended as a first-line med (or even second) for mild constipation secondary to opioid therapy.

That’s what they told me in nursing school, anyway. In-patient post-surg, they seemed to prefer treatment with lactulose rather than PEG. But stimulant laxatives were viewed as a last resort.

2 Likes

No one posted this?

Kids these days.

1 Like

Dammit…earworm.

1 Like