Nightshade: a new tool artists can use to "poison" AI models that scrape their online work

2 Likes

“One small prance for fawn, one great leap for deerkind.”

1 Like

For now….

1 Like

… AI can’t count legs, moons, or Bambis

3 Likes

… this is “bambi on saturn”

1 Like

it’s also possible there might well be some sort of eu, us, or elsewhere divide on that…

i think it’d be interesting, now that disney is in the era of losing some of its more precious properties to the public domain, and that tech companies have an interest in getting legal access to artist’s works, if there was a push to reduce copyright duration

while i think it’s morally questionable to be leveraging people’s works for corporate gain without their consent, it does become more reasonable legally if copyright were only 14 years.

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Cory has been telling us this shit for literally years… :woman_shrugging:

Honestly, plenty of people already have that attitude, prior to these programs being widely available… They don’t see art as coming from talent and hard work, but just some background stuff that is just sort of… there and that they’re entitled to access without the people who made it getting their due? But that’s another byproduct of the capitalist system of mass production. That’s always been a key part of how capitalism functions, by covering up the labor aspect of art… commodity fetishism, something, something, mumble, mumble… Guy DeBord and Walter Benjamin have entered the chat… And Gramsci…

Wasn’t one point that Cory brought up in the Chokepoint book that copyright needs to have strong provisions for reverting back to the original creators? I think that was one solution, especially for the problem of orphan works. But maybe also about working artists who are employed by corporations eventually getting their work back in some way (reversion, or first rights of a buy-back from a corporate entity)?

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

We need a better system that doesn’t hurt so many people…

Yeah, and the reason why copyright is so very long is precisely for corporations to benefit from it… It’s always spun as protecting families (which, I guess it can), but the primary beneficiaries are the Disneys of the world… 14, with maybe an added term would be MORE than enough time for the original creator to see a profit from their work.

5 Likes

… my favorite links whenever that comes up

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.